Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cadillac DeVille TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, May 4, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anybody know anything about the Cadillac DeVille TBI from the 80s? It is nearly identical to the truck ones but has some extra doo-dads on it that probably impedes airflow but improves atomization. These 4.1L V8s made 130hp@4200 and 200ftlbs@2200. The 305s in the trucks only made 180hp/260ftlbs.

I was just wondering if anyone tried running these Cadillac TBIs to try to get some more efficiency out of their motors without hurting performance.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You talking about using the Cadillac TBI on a Chev engine, or that TBI system on a Cadillac transplant?

As old as that system is, even compared to the later TBI/TPI stuff, it's probably pretty pointless to try and run it if whats out there meets the needs presented. (IE all the Chev stuff, plus the aftermarket injection setups that are being made for other GM division motors finally)

Some of the components however, might be useful for those that have made a Cadillac engine swap, although the injector issue on something that old/engine specific is probably a big problem, along with whatever else GM figured out worked much better even by 1987.

Probably easier to adapt a Chev TBI (or port) setup to a Cadillac than it is to try and adapt part of a Cadillac system to part of a later system.

3. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

this is the only deville I know about!!! :D

[​IMG]

4. CyberSniper

Cadillac throttle body on a Chevy. The throttle body appears to be a run-of-the-mill TBI220 with some extra doodads on it. The one I have is either 86 or 87. Either in 87 or 88 they got rid of TBI.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

wtf are them things hanging off the injectors?!

6. dyeager535

Ahh ok...ones that new will probably be more "compatible" with the Chev stuff. I'm thinking of the *old* injection Cadillac used.

Injectors are probably too small, have you tried looking on Cadillac boards (or even thirdgen.org) to see if there is any info on those things?

7. CyberSniper

Yeah, Cadillac used a lot of weird stuff. But, they were always cutting edge for their time.

Everything seems to be the same as on my 305's TBI. I think even the injectors are the same. It just has odd stuff on it like the things that I think are being used to increase velocity in the throttle body bore.

I haven't done any further research. It's not like Cadillac's 4.1L was real high on the performance meter... between the hillbilly way of holding the heads on and the marginal oiling system nobody was interested.

8. dyeager535

If you find more info on the unit, be sure to post up. That with a Painless setup would probably be easier (and cheaper perhaps) to find in some areas than the TBI truck stuff. I know around here the TBI trucks are always missing the injection in the wrecking yards around here.

9. CyberSniper

If you're just going to buy the Painful setup it'd be real easy just to buy the TBI220 off a S10, S10 Blazer, Astro, fullsize Van, fullsize car, et cetera. All of the throttle bodies are the same and most of the wiring is the same. Heck, the high output 4.3Ls got the same injectors as a 305.