Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cadillac Engine Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlkBlazer86, Aug 23, 2000.

1. BlkBlazer86

BlkBlazer86 Registered Member

I am new to the 4 x4 scene and I just bought a 86 Chevy K5 Blazer with a 350 engine and a 700R4 tranny and I am thinking of putting a Cadillac 512 or 530 engine in it and I was wondering first can I keep the 700R4 and second what other things will the swap require me to have.

Always Chevy Powered!!!!!!
    BlkBlazer86

2. I think you can buy bell housing adapters for BOP tranies to
    chevy bell housings.I dont think gm ever put a 700r4 on a
    BOP motor.BOP stands for Buick,Oldsmobile,Pontiac,which includes the caddy motors.Chevy uses its own style bell housing,all other gm v8 use one type.I dont know if they put
    a 700r4 in the early 80's caddies or not if so you could use one of these.I'll try and check into it for you.
    I think they have info on these cars on the B-Body web site.
    Hope this helps,happy trails.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

3. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

You can get an adapter, if you need it, some 700R4 trannies have both Chevy and BOP bolt patterns. I believe the diesel has the same bell houseing pattern as the BOP, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think you need to change your sig to <font color=red>Always Cadillac Powered!!!!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

4. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

5. BlkBlazer86

BlkBlazer86 Registered Member

Thanks for the tips and you guys are right I do need to change that slogan. I have decided on going with a Cadillac 500 with a turbo 400 tranny to me that takes advantage of that stock 500 ft. pounds of torque that we all want. I dont know if you guys knew this but the 500 engine with a aluminum intake only weighs 40 more pounds than a small block Chevy, With that torque and weight its a no brainer.

Body by Chevy.......Powerplant by GM!!!!!
    BlkBlazer86

6. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

That sounds like a killer drivetrain. How 'bout "Powered by the General"?

7. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I have already done this swap so here is what i found out.
    First off the biggest caddy made was a 501 not a 513 or 530
    that would be a stroker cad. Your 700r4 might hold up for a
    little while but not for the long haul. It is no stronger than a turbo 350. Get a turbo 400 and you will be happy. You
    will need to change motor mounts. Make your own out of half
    inch plate. You will need to cut the seam in your firewall
    or pund it in so the motor will butt up to the tranny. You
    will also need an adapter from bop to chevy for the tranny
    For exhaust you will have to get different flanges. You should cap off the tube between the heads. make sure you
    put on the heater hose at the back of the motor first before
    you stuff it or you will have to take it back out. And finally run a four core and a modified fan shroud. Caddys
    have siamese cylinders and tend to run hot. Stay away from
    the 74 472 cad and try for the 70 eldo it had 10 to 1 compression. Also make sure your run a 75 or 76 hei distributor. and finally you will need and eldo pan. A 472cad is also a good choice. Good luck with your swap and HAPPY TIRE FRYING!

MUDNUT

8. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

Forgot to mention let me know how your swap went. Thanks

MUDNUT

9. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Good explanation of the swap Brian. What I don't understand is why. The Cadilac motor is probably 75lbs lighter than a BBC (Big Block Chevy) but that seems like a lot of work compared to a BBC where the BBC is a drop in and doesn't need firewall or motor mount mods. Aftermarket parts is more robust and cheaper for a BBC. How would you convert a Cadilac to MPFI or would you be stuck with TBI? What about heads/manifolds/headers (availability and price)? No offense to any Caddy dudes but I'm just trying to get the scoop on this. I would think HP/torque on both engines with similar HP parts would be the same.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

10. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Hey Shawn there was some caddys that came with MPI. Just change the wiring harness and the sensors for late model MPI. You can put the guts of the 7 pin HEI into a regular 4 pin. I have done this and it does work. I had a Holley 4DI injection on a Caddy 500 in my Landcruiser and it worked pretty well but I want MPI also. So it is definity do able with a stock GM compontes. Caddies just run real good from the factory. Let me know it you guys have any question.

Donovan

11. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

To anyone how wants to do this swap don't go with CMD or the CAD500 web site. This guy gives very poor customer sevice. I have bought parts from Him and he is not a very nice man to deal with. Here is a couple place that sell Caddy parts and they are very nice and helpful http://www.mts.simplnet.com http://www.cadillacperfpts.com I hope this helps some people out. My brother and I have raced caddy's for 7 years and they run very well and are still very streetable when in race trim pre-say.

Donovan

12. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Shawn, the appeal in a big Cadillac for me isn't the fact that high performance parts are expensive or non-existant, it is the fact that I bought a 71 472 from a local junkyard for $150 including the TH400 bolted on the back of it. The kicker is it runs good, and only has 69,000 miles on it. I can stand a little fabricating for prices like that. Not to mention 500 ft-lbs. stock. That is why for me at least [​IMG].

Jeff427

13. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

According to my research, you can get more power, dollar per dollar out of a 472/500 Cadillac than out of a Big Block Chevy, up to a point. I have dyno tests and cost per modification on a 500 Cadillac build up if anyone is interested. After you get to a certain point they are both expensive.

Donovan, I finally got the pics of your Cad powered Blazer up on my site. Click the link below and check it out. On the left of the main page, there is a link to it [​IMG].

Jeff427

14. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks Jeff for the pictures on my blazer. I know it is not a pretty looking engine compartment but I have less than $1000 in this engine swap. I needed a daily driver cheap and this was it. The engine I bought for $100 and the trans to engine adapter is $65. A gasket set was $85 and a timing chain was $80. A couple miscelaneous things like hoses and belts and etc. for say $100. A new exhaust was $350. That is all I had into it. Oh I forgot it did cost me more because one of the first things I did was blow up my 12 bolt. Oh well maybe you guys wouldn't be as hard on it as I was.[​IMG]

Donovan