Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cadillac HEI fit our trucks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Feb 9, 2007.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Have a chance to scavenge anything I want from a Caddy... it's a '79, dunno what model, so it looks like it prolly has the 4.7L V8. If it had the 500 I'd be all over like Marv Springer over 32-spline '208's.

Anyway, I can't think why I'd want a 2WD BOP TH400, but if the HEI distributor would fit a Chevy block I might snag it.

Anybody know how similar the dizzies are?

-- A

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Don't know much about that year or size cadillac. The old ones share the same cap and rotor and such with our chevys but the stem is specific to cadillac.

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

X2 Cap and some internals, but that's it.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

As long as we're discussing Caddy dizzy's [hijack] Does anyone know if you can frankenstein a Caddy and TBI chevy distributor to come up with an electronic advance dizzy that will fit the Caddy?

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

tranny might be desireable..

The Caddy TH400 can be converted to a 4x4 one by installing a 4x4 output shaft..might be handy if you ever decide to go with a Caddy engine..or with an adapter plate it could be used behind a Chevy motor..

Not sure about the HEI--the Caddy one wont fit a Chevy,other than the internals..not sure if you could morph a Chevy TBI one and a Caddy together,could be done I suppose,whether it would work right would be a guess...:crazy:

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Probably, but it'll take some thinking. Plus some cutting & welding no doubt. I put an HEI pick-up & reluctor in a points dizzy. Not too hard once I figured out what had to happen.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

why??..

If you need an HEI for a Caddy you plan to use fuel injection on,maybe a Caddy one from a 368 or 425 V8 would "work"...they did have EFI on late 70's and early 80's Caddys,but I'm not sure what kind,some had multi-port I think,others had TBI..

As for "weird" distributor conversions,I once "downgraded" a LUCAS distributor on a Triumph Spitfire, by removing the troublesome and costly pick up coil and "ignitior" that failed 3 times in 6 months on my friends sisters car,and simply screwed in a set of Delco-Remy points for a GM six cylinder in there instead,and added a GM coil!(had to drill a hole or two,no major modifications!)..:D

..took me awile to get the dwell and timing set,but it ran better than it did with the crappy LUCAS ignition ,and never acted up as long as she owned the car!...(I bet some eyebrows were raised at the next shop that attempted to "tune it up" after she sold it!):haha: ....