Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cadillac rear calipers w/ p-brake rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CarolinaBogger, Oct 11, 2005.

1. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

whats up yall, I have a set of 1984 Caddy Seville rear calipers w/ p-brake that I was going replace my non-parking brake calipers with, but I just sold my Blazer so oh well. Anyway, my question is has anyone rebuilt a set of calipers with the rebuild kit that you get at Autozone or NAPA? If it's not that time consuming, I'm going to rebuild them (replace the seals) before I put them up on Ebay. Is it a difficult job? Thanks for any info

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Slight off-topic here, but what rear calipers were you using (non e-brake) that work with the narrow rotors the '79-85 calipers require?

3. CarolinaBogger

a buddy of mine had them on his '90 suburban and gave the setup (rotors, calipers, backing plates...) to me when he did a rear-end swap. I'm not sure what the calipers were off of, though.

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I have done a couple. the seals that come with the kit do not include on seal that goes inside the piston caliper. once you take the caliper apart and look at the piston caliper you;ll know what i mean. you have to pry the stuff in the piston caliper out, i think i used a screwdriver. just be careful not to scratch the inside wall of the piston. you could probably reuse it(i did) just make sure there are no scratches on the inside of the piston caliper or tears on the seal.

also, if you are going to used them on a 14 bolt rotor, they will not work. the calipers do not open enough to fit over the rotor.

ARQ.

5. CarolinaBogger

10-4, thanks guys.