Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cage building

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by warreclipsegst, Dec 6, 2005.

1. warreclipsegst

warreclipsegst Registered Member

Those of you who have built your own cages or bumpers, what type of tubing did you use? and where did you purchase it from.

Thanks

2. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Pro tools bender, HREW so far ( DOM is just too expensive) only have 1 3/4 die right now. That size is pretty versatile for all around bumpers and cage. I would love to have a 2" , 1.5", and 1 1/4" dies. I buy all my steel from the local Boiler works place, Millions just in steel inventory. Usually use .120 wall tubing, I have to put in an order with the place because they only stock .088 in 1 3/4".

3. warreclipsegst

thanx only have one place around here that might even be able to get it.. have to check though. I would hate to have to order that stuff..

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Where in PA are you?

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

no steel in pa:confused: :)

6. warreclipsegst

small town called Cogan Station. Not saying there isn't any in PA just don't know of anywhere close by to get it. All places I have checked in the past don't even know what I am talking about.. Anybody know of any place in the Williamsport area? im about 20mins from there.

7. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i just ordered 120 ft of 1026 DOM 1 3/4, .134 wall, for $487.20. for the amount of material i bought, which i think is about enough to do a good cage, (i might need a bit more but i will cross that road if i need to), AND the quality of the material i bought, is less then 500 bucks really all that expensive? i think 500 bucks for DOM for a cage aint bad at all. i know most everyone will jump all over me about it but come on, its not like it cost 1500 or 2000 grand to do a cage out of DOM. and the time for making it dom or hrew is the same. and you dont have to worry about where your seam is in the bend. i advocate do it as safe as you can reasonablly afford and build it to what you think you might do with the truck down the road.

meaning if all your gonna do with it is simple trail blazing then a 4 point rool bar out of hot rolled tube is fine, but if your gonna eventually get into some hard core rock crawling or high speed desert prerunning or something then spend a couple hundred extra for a better quality cage out of DOM. this debate rages on and on here and that fine as both sides have valid points. just think about the reasons you are wanting to build a cage and make your choice of materials from there. i have read ALOT about DOM tube vs HREW and although HREW tube is fine to use in alot of situations, for hard core 4 wheeling where a flop on your side is common to a multiple role over that could and might happen at some point, you dont want to question the strength of you cage at that moment. remember you cant put a price on design and construction, design it and weld it properly which ever tube you use.

i have herd poeple say DOM is welded tube too, just like HREW the only difference is they remove the weld thru slag on the inside and the process for how they make it is different. if you look around on the internet for tube strength, or tensile strength, and yield strength of 1026 DOM vs HREW there is a big strength difference. come on HREW guys, bring it on!:D before you do read my post carefully, im NOT saying not to use HREW, im just saying if you can afford 800 to 1800 in tires alone 500 bucks for quality tube aint squat as far as expence goes.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

DOM costs so much more than HREW, that I'd much rather use HREW and just add some more gusseting, crossbracing (jungle gym look) etc. End result would be cheaper, and just as strong. DOM is a better material, blinging chromo would be even better than that. Unless you're going to use wet noodles as a material though, cage design has more to do with the things ability to withstand abuse than what kind of tube you choose.

j