Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cage concept

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Jan 30, 2007.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am starting to plan out my cage for the 71 and been looking at yalls setups and wonder why I haven't seen any with the B pillar layed back? I see alot of jeeps like this but no k5s. prob not entirely as strong as a straigh one but if you work it right it would actually by more triangulation once you added gussets and braces. To me it looks a little more sleek and different from the norm but maybe I'm not thinking of something else here.

cageconcept01.JPG

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i would add a brace, from even with the bedside top, behind the seat, down at an angle towards the wheel opening forwardmost top edge...

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That looks like the one I have drawn up in my head.

4. MNorby

yeah that pic is a very basic idea to get the b pillar look.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Those A-pillars will be a problem...

If you draw a straight line like that, I think the bar will stick way out near the dashboard, and will make it hard to climb in and out.

The b-pillars raked back like that may also hit the "step" into the rear cargo area....so to match the angle of the a-pillar bar you may end up putting the cage plate too close to the seat mount ....

Just a few ideas to explain "why" you don't see that design more often.

Why not just run the a-pillars through the dash?.....I hear all the cool kids are doing it!!

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Maybe this will help. I like the idea of laying the B pillar back for look. Definately need to be properly supported.

I agree with greg on the amount of room you will loose by running the a pillars straight. Also look at rolling the windows up and down if you will have doors.

PASSENGER SIDE OF CAGE.jpg

FRONT PASSENGER SIDE OF CAGE.jpg

7. MNorby

yeah I'll prob have a dog leg in ther A pillar around the dash then get the tube up as close to the firewall as possible without making a tight bend. I am more trying to figure how to do the B pillar than anything I alread have most everything figured in my head.

8. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

Here is how I did mine:

[​IMG]

I had to trim an inch off of both the glove box and instrument cluster so it would not rub. It does hit the window frame at the top when I hit bumps. A couple pieces of rubber fixed that problem.

The seat area is tied straight down into the frame like this crappy photo shows in red:

[​IMG]

Once the sliders are built, it will tie the "a" pillar to the seat frame and "b" pillar.

My setup isn't all that different than what you have only I did go straight on my pillars: Poser pic beware..... :whistle:

[​IMG]

I think that you could pull it off if you triangulate it here like this:

[​IMG]

This could create a strong rear portion of the cage with a true trangulated design. I plan on putting this "V" into my cage as well.

9. MNorby

yeah I plan on more triangle and supports, I just wanna see if anyone has laid their B pillar back fomr the lower floor instead of straigh up from the upper floor.

10. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

One advantage I didn't think about earlier is that your head would be further away from hitting anything with the laid back pillar.

11. MNorby

I was thinking it would follow the seat line per say and should give some extra slearance up top

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I don't see any problem it if it will fit the body's interior shape, or one or the other can/will be massaged for it to fit.

Some general advice:
    A tube bender is a tool, not an obligation. Design to avoid as many bends as possible. When at all possible put bends in intersections. That avoids discontinuous load paths or openings with more than 3 sides.
    Triangles are your friend, and to a point the smaller they are the better. The shame of this is that those triangles can make living with the truck not much fun. Have to strike a balance you can live with.

In ecameron87's drawing of your truck notice what moving the bed area horizontal tube up to the top of the bed does for strength. The lower area does still need some addressing. How much depends on what loads are going to be fed into the cage structure. Could be as simple as continuing the 'V' tubes (even if slightly 'bent') to the lower end of the main hoop and to the lower rear corner.
    Might dig up that Total Chaos built Orange/Red Pre-Rnnr I posted a thread with some pics of.

13. MNorby

I understand triangulation and all, I built a buggy just wanna get peoples opinion on the laid back B pillar. I wanna run some tubes along the floor too for rear seat mounts.

14. MNorby

ok, finally found a rig with what I am lookin for. The blue 74 K5 from the ultimate adventure. From the pics I can find this has the B pillar laid in like I am thinking