Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cage design Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Jul 5, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Was thinking of putting in a tube as seen on the drivers side to lay the windshield in and triagulare that A hoop more but it kinda cuts some fisibility and put the windshield way out there. I kinda like the look of it W/O that tube as seen on the pass side. Would it be benificial to go for looks and feel over function here or would it be too benificial to keep them? There will be a peice going down the firewall and to the slider under where I am thinking of the winshield frame pieces too. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yikes... you need more triangulation all over that rig. At any rate, if you don't plan on having any support in the center of the windshield area (most rigs these days have an "A" shaped support in the center) then I'd definitely add the extra tube to the passanger side. Does it really matter how far the windshield is from you? Is it transparent... right?

j

3. MNorby

all I have built so far is the basic shape. I plan on alot of triangulation everywhere including a tiangle in the middle of the windshield area, just trying to decided where now if I want the lexan in the current "a" hoop or put out those little gussets and mount the lexan to that.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

cool. Personally, I like the look of either design with respect to windshield mounting. The new UAV has a sloped windshield... it looks cool. The ol' Scorpion Mk 1 has a totally vertical windshield (H1 like) and it looks cool too. I don't think you can miss either way... as far as looks go. Sounds like the bases are covered with respect to reinforcing the cage too. If you don't like the extra supports on the sides, I say skip 'em and call it good. Gussets + triangulation elsewhere oughta be plenty. Besides, most people that have 2 near-vertical members in that part of the A-hoop have an A-hoop that leans backward.... yours in pretty much straight up and down (or appears to be in the pic!) which means its less likely to lean-bend towards the b-hoop in a nasty roll.

j

5. MNorby

here is kinda a rough idea of the bracing and such.... just not in lime green :rolleyes:

The flat hummer-like winshield reminds me of the MK-1 also, kinda a bold look

truggyconcept.JPG