Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cage design

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by TWISTEDJACK, Jul 2, 2004.

1. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am in the planning stages of my cage for the K5. But I have some questions on design. I know that if it isn't designed correctly that it isn't much good. Should I design a halo or a buggy style with the tube running from the from floor of the a pillar all the way to the back pillar floor. This is going to be a "family" style cage to keep the young ones safe. The other question is how to properly seem the tubing together?? Do you always tie it together at a joint? Example is the halo style where do I join the two ends??

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

check this out, rjdinkins looks like he did a kick a$$ job, with the mounting to the frame, and the rock guards, to the funtionality of it all. real nice work. look at the 1990 chevy Blazer album. http://community.webshots.com/user/rjdinkins

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The joint should go at a node along with all other joints. It's really no different than the others, so why should it go anywhere else? My halo has 2 joints, one on each side, connected at the main b-pillar nodes.

On style, for purposes of an interior cage in a rock crawler, it really does not matter. Any of the 3 main categories (hoop, halo, or side hoop) will be fine if well designed and triangulated properly with appropriate gussets. For an exo or buggy body, halo is my preferred style since it more easily slides along rock walls without getting hung up. I've tipped into wall several times and drove along on the hallo like s skid. Side hoop would be my second choice for the same reason. But interior cages tend to fit better as hoop or side hoop...

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I dont mean to hi-jack, but where are the "halo", "hoop" and "side hoop" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

There are 3 ways to build a cage joint with 3 tubes coming in, in this case:
    bend a hoop that you would see in a front view ("hoop style" or "jeep style")
    bend a hoop that you would see in a side view ("side hoop", often seen on tube chassis buggies)
    bend a hoop that you would see in a top view ("halo")

6. BadDog

Oops, I missed your question. Sorry I overlooked it, but Stephen has you covered.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks Stephen, that helped me alot.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

The problem with our rigs is there is quite a span between the a/b/c pillars. I am by no means a professional in cage design but I went with a halo that was sleved with 1.75X .120 tubing at the very front and back not a joint. My cage is 2" X .120 HREW. I plan on tying the cage, sliders and frame as a unit. I still need some gusseting and plan on spreaders between the a pillars and b pillars possibly the c as well. I am going to put a V in the b section and possibly behind the back seat, havent completley made up my mind. In my eyes it cant be pver built since my kids will be back there. take a look at my cage, if you guys have any input drop me a PM.
    http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13592&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I dont mean to hi-jack again, but I am trying to follow all the lingo... where are the a,b, and c pillars?

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the a piller is the one at the firewall holding the windshield in, b piller is the rear of the front door, c piller is the rear of the top.

11. BadDog

They are the vertical supports for the top, in alphabetical order, front to rear. "a" is the windshield post, "b" is behind the door, etc.

BTW, I would seriously reconsider that spare mounted up there. That's lots of weight and inertia up there with lots of leverage. On the up side, it's more-or-less out of the way... at least till you need to go under a limb. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nice looking cage from what I could see, but I would have somehow triangulated the front half of the hoop to help control lateral deflection of the a-pilars which are all but impossible to stabilize due to visibility and access issues. In fact, that's exactly how I did mine with a "V" from center of b-hoop horizontal to all four of the halo corners. Makes the halo completely rigid…

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

(okay thanks for the help)