Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cage design...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Aug 19, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I know its a bit plain jain...and I know the picture is a bit ghetto but does it look okay? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

2. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

is it internal or external? if its internal you might want to think about head clearance inside the cab. that bar will be right above your head. cool pic /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

internal, but ill have the roof cutoff, no back seat either.. we might fab up a tab to put a single summit race seat back there or something

I used this pic becasue it was probably the time a cage woulda been the best to have with those innocent people in the back seat. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am no expert on cages but i have been readin into them alot and looking at a lot of designs. Doesn't look bad. I would probably change the design of the bar between the b pillar and the back down bars. Do away witht he horizontal bar and make it a complete X.... Also, if you get the cage back far enough you can do away with the tailgate bar and tie the 1/4's into your cage.

Also, I would do somesort of B-pillar brace also. It iwll hinder rear seat access(you said you were taking it out anyhow), but it will help strengthen up the cage from side forces. And lastly I would probably add a bar across the a-pillar (across the dash)...

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Photoshop rollcages RULE!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I've got one in my gallery......it's even GREEN, just like yours.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Check out some of the pics here:
    ORD K5 Cage

There should be enough there to see what I had and what we've done since the body left. Your sketch is a good hybrid of my before and after, it looks sound. I'd add a substantial beam across the rear floor to tie the down bars together, you could even run it under the floor. This is a good place to tie into the frame and start using your cage to add stiffness to the chassis. Mine tied throught the floor to the bumper at the rear.

I'd also consider tying the verticals for the "A" and "B" pillar through the floor into the nerf bars, or whatever you do for rocker protection. This can also be a good frame tie-in point, or give your rocker protection some real strength.
    For bed or back seat access, you pretty much have to stay away from X bracing the B bay (behind the seats) but you can triangulate some of the corners and pick up some more strength there. Or just go to bigger tube. Mine uses 2"x .120 DOM for the A and B pillar structure.