Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cage finally done

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Sep 12, 2004.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Finally found the time to finish up my rollcage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also swapped the '74 windsheild frame on, this pic shows the steel pegs I used.

[​IMG]

W/S frame fit and clamped...sorry it's a little dark.

[​IMG]

Rene

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Excellent cage!!!! Now that you're done you wanna make another one just like that and I'll be by here in a bit to pick it up? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Again looks like excellent work and pretty much what I have envisioned us havin when we get around to it.

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Dam Rene that is a nice cage..I want one..And you won't even have to graft the windshield frame..Good work as always , I still need to get up there to pay you a visit...Mike

4. tRustyK5

Thanks guys,

The frame was cake when I finally got off my ass and started it.../forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

In a few minutes I'll be attempting to re-install the windshield, then throw the interior back together and put the hardtop back on.

I still need the 3 hold down brackets that hold the edge of the windshield frame and the leading edge of the topper...gonna post that in the wanted section I guess.

Mike, C'mon up before the weather gets too crappy./forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

5. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

Looks nice! How much weight do you think that added? Why do all the work to the back part? Is someone going to sit back there?

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

not to shabby, nice desin i like the how the rear comes togeather, you going to put a tire carrier on there someware???
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Bootie Fab /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Just kidding man /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks nice! How much weight do you think that added? Why do all the work to the back part? Is someone going to sit back there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be adding a rear seat mount eventually. So I guess it's "done for now" like everything else. I'd like to bring my girls wheeling and not worry thy're gonna get hurt if things go badly. I'll also need to add some padding obviously.

Total weight added was approx 250 lbs. There's 110-120 feet of tube in there /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Rene

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

kick azz rene!!! is the plan to tie everything into the frame? if so, how does that footing in the center of the body attach to the frame? any pics from below?

j

10. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    not to shabby, nice desin i like the how the rear comes togeather, you going to put a tire carrier on there someware???
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tire carrier will hold the tire at an angle behind where the rear seat is gonna go. hi-lift will mount on the rearmost leg of the cage on the drivers side (outside of the bar) and a shovel will be mounted on the passenger side rear bar.

I'm hoping to get the pare in there somehow with a rear seat and still be able to close the tailgate.../forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Rene

11. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

kick azz rene!!! is the plan to tie everything into the frame? if so, how does that footing in the center of the body attach to the frame? any pics from below?

j

[/ QUOTE ]

No plans to tie into the frame. Thought long and hard and sided with BadDog...tying into the frame is going to create stress risers in the frame. It's designed to flex a little, so I'd like it to. The body is about 200% more rigid now which should help keep the frame from getting too flexy.

The cage is held down by 28 bolts and 7 base plates (6"x5")right now. The main hoop and 'V' support is bolted through one of the strongest points of the body. That section is boxed and doubled all the way from side to side and has the body mounts directly on the underside.

The rear bars are bolted through the tailpan. I'm not worried about the cage punching through the floor...on it's lid there would be less than 30 lbs per square inch of pressure on those plates.

Rene

12. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Bootie Fab /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Just kidding man /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bootie is as Bootie does... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Rene

13. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Very nice Rene /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

Looks like you had to cut up the dash some, especialy the drivers side. Will the factory gauges go back in or do you have other plans? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

nice, looks alot like steves cage. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

so when you gonna "test" is out /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

wow that looks very stout rene /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nice work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Very nice Rene /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

Looks like you had to cut up the dash some, especialy the drivers side. Will the factory gauges go back in or do you have other plans? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

curious about this as well. Do you think you could have gotten all the tubes in with glass in place and a hard top?

Damn nice looking though.

18. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks worse than it is, I only had to cut a small piece from each side. The rest of the 'holes' are factory. The big hole gets filled by the guage panel, and the factory bezel still screws on as well. The top of the factory bezel sits about 1/2" away from the cross tube.

I plan on a sheet aluminum 'dash' to cover the rest, from the cross bar towards the inside of the truck. The front part of the steel dash on the other side of the bar I sprayed flat black and it can stay that way. I also still have defroster and heater vents.

I'll snap a few more pic's with the interior back together and of the new windshield frame done (turned out pretty good)

Right now I'm finishing up installing the windshield. It's in and I'm now fighting the gasket rope thing in all the way around. I'm about 1/4 of the way around and taking a break. I cracked the glass once removing it, and once again putting it back in. Both cracks are not in my eyeline so I might just run it for a while.

Rene

19. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

curious about this as well. Do you think you could have gotten all the tubes in with glass in place and a hard top?

Damn nice looking though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole cage was built with the hardtop on and 90% or more was welded before the glass came out. The cross tube messed me up, and I had to remove the glass to weld it all the way around to the down bars. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I also should have pre-painted some sections...

With some better planning I could do it without removing the glass. In fact I get to put my money where my mouth is because we'll be trying to do just that to my friends 89 Blazer. I had to remove the glass to swap windshield frames anyways...but to have to remove it just for welding purposes would tick me off. It's not a fun job!!

Rene

20. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Sweet! Nice job. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Looks like a lot of quality effort there. It looks well thought out and nice welds to boot. I hope to get mine started to about two weeks or so. It won't be nearly so complex. Happy rolling! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif