Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cage question, (what size tubing to use?)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5-newbie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

About to start on cage and need to know what size tubing to use and if you have any pics of your own, now is the time to post them:D :bow:

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

1 3/4 in dom

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

2" DOM....either .120" or .125" wall

I have photo albums in my .sig for three different rollcages I've built.....one for a 1st gen, one for a '77 and one in an '85.

There's a good assortment of shots and some good detailed shots also.

:usaflag:

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would use 1 3/4" DOM if you plan to get rid of the cab in the future. If you think you will always have the steel hard cab I would use 1 1/2" DOM.

I built my buggy out of 1 3/4" and 1 1/2" DOM and have had a few hard rolls and it is holding up well.

2" DOM will treat you well but I say save some weight and triangulate.

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Most race car builders use 1 5/8. I bought my bender from a guy who builds pro-mod cars and that was what he used. He also included 1 1/2 and 1 inch dies as well. The 1 inch work well for handles and brackets.

Just my $.02

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Mine is made out of 1 3/4"x .120 HREW. Will have lots of bracing.

It really just comes down to what size die you have/access to.
    [​IMG]

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Most people use 1 and 3/4. I used 2" just for the beefy look. I like .120 wall DOM. Pretty good article on the different types of tube in one of the last Peterson's 4 wheel and off road mags.

Also check out www.diy4x.com I used a few of thier products. The tube rings, staked cage floor plates, and gussetts. Very handy and Kert is a great guy to deal with and a vendor here.

Here are a couple pics of mine.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Man, that looks slick! Great job!

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

all you guys that said DOM are in for a chewin, everytime i mention DOM boy do i here it from the nay sayers here that say DOM is not necessary. i would use 1 3/4 .134 wall DOM my self. opps :doah: i said DOM too, aw man! now im gonna get another chewin too. oh well.:D

10. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have rolled my buggy several times and in one bad spot. I have seen a small dent in the DOM but over the length of the peice a huge bow. I have seen HREW smash flat from less of a hit.

I do think that HREW is okay to use for an internal cage in a full body rig, since if it rolls once big enough to use the cage the vehicle is in need of serious repair.

I am a firm beliver that only DOM should be used any where that a rock strike or other hard impact will be encountered.

11. Greg72

Fortunately, Darwin takes care of many of those people....

A cage made with DOM is something like 30% stronger than HREW... I am always baffled by people's willingness to trade safety margin for a few $$$ in material costs.... :dunno:

12. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

the article in last months petersons 4 wheel said it all. i have done a ton of research on the strength properties of dom vs hrew and I will allways use dom for the kind of offroading i want to do. as i have allways said i would take a hrew cage over nothing anyday, BUT if im building my own cage which I am going to do, i will only use dom period. cost difference means nothing to me.

im tellin ya you guys are gonna get us in trouble, its come'in.

13. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Its funny yall say DOM but thats just a process that the material is taken through, not the type of material.:D

Yes the "DOM" that we all talk about is stronger but around here I can get a 24' stick of 1.75x.120 HREW for about $30. That same size in DOM is about $90. Its not worth the extra strength for almost 3 times the cost.

I am going to be bracing the crap out of my tube work so I doubt my cage will fail.
    Sure it might dent some but that wouldnt be to hard to repair.

14. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

I am keeping the cab in tact so it should give me some additional support....still debating on dom or hrew...decisions, decisions:confused:

oh, yeah, thanks for all the replies

15. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Shouldn't the type of wheeling you do be considered also. If your rock crawling would include the possibility of a roll down a 200 ft. hill, it should be worth spending the extra for strength. If your highspeed running, the same. If your crawling and would only see a roll over, and not barrell rolling maybe the extra cost isn't justified.

16. Greg72

Sure. And I also suggest that you consider vehicle weight (since the cage will need to support it if/when you roll).

Just because a 2300 lb racecar uses 1-5/8" tubing for it's cage, doesn't mean that it's an acceptable material for a 6000 lb 4x4.

Beyond that, everyone has to make their own decision about how "safe" is safe enough. Yes, we all like to build cages in anticipation of the mild flops...but in reality, the cage only proves it's real worth if you ever find yourself tumbling end-over-end down a long rocky hill.

If I ever find myself doing that, I sure don't want my last thoughts to be "Boy, I sure wish I had made this cage a little better!" :yikes:

17. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I won't argue that DOM is the best material, but most people who preach for DOM are simply using it because it's the best bling available and not because they need the extra strength.

If you build a cage and the difference between HREW and DOM tubing is the deciding factor as to whether it fails or not, then you are really pushing the design envelope of the overall cage and have zero safety factor built in.

A good example to use are the pics in this thread of the cage in the early style truck. First of all, that's a sweet cage.........but you could probably build that same design out of schedule 40 pipe and rest of the truck would completely disintegrate before the cage would fail.

As far as cage damage in a roll, sure if it's just a flop I don't expect the cage to need any work. But if I, or anybody else, barrel rolls 200' down a mountain are you really going to care if the cage is bent a little to one side or some bars are dented?

Regarding using DOM in areas where rock contact may occur that does not make much sense either. As already mentioned it is quite common for HREW and DOM tubing to be made from the same material, with the same diameter and wall thickness........so in general how would DOM hold up better if it rubbed a rock?

Again, if you are willing to pay the extra for DOM tubing then go for it. But don't be scared to build a "properly designed" cage out of HREW, or even *gasp* schedule 40.

If anybody is willing, go to Pirate4x4 and you could read about this debate for the next week straight.

18. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

i got a great deal on some 1 1/2 .250 wall dom and built my cage with that . I was able to bend the tube with the cheap HF pipe bender . It's heavy tube but with the burb close to 7000lbs I think it will do the job .