Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cage Sufficient for Floor Support?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Sep 5, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I need to cut the rocker boxes (not panels) out of my blazer becuase one side is rusted pretty bad. Would a 6pt Cage like Greg's or Dylan's be enough to support the floor without the boxes. I have heard that some didn't even come with the support boxes. It looks like they would catch alot of muck thrown up by the front tires. I've been looking at the cage made by SmittyBuilt unless I can find someone locally to build me one. So do Ya'll think this will be sufficient or should I look at trying to find some new boxes?

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

In my humble opinion. The floor needs to be rugged enough to support the cage. It would be reasonable to suppose that brackets from the frame to the floor to support the cage would help. Also, If you are talking about a full removable top I'd mount the windshield frame to the cage. That's what the boxes are for anyway, isn't it?

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Hmmm... I dunno /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif . I'm new to the full 'vert thing. You're probably right about supporting the windshield frame but I was thinking they were there to support the body around the door area. To me both the box and the cage would serve the same purpose, giving the floor more rigidity, but i'm probably wrong /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .