Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cage suggestions? Double main hoop?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Jun 26, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I just started my K30 buggy cage/body today. Got the a-pillar risers done and the b-pillar hoop. I’ll get the forward hallo tomorrow along with a number of straight pieces, then the rear body/cage follows. But, I’ve got one question I can’t decide on. Should I double the b-pillar/hoop? I’m using 1.75 x .120 HREW and my rig will likely weigh in around 4500 – 5000 when done. The cage will be pretty well triangulated and gusseted. I’m thinking that doubling the main hoop is cheap insurance, but it’s also allot more work having to exactly duplicate the first and add many little 2-3” connectors to make and weld in, etc. I’m very confident in my welds but, this is my first cage so, I’m leaning toward the extra hoop…

So, do you guys think I should double the main hoop? Specifically looking for input from those who have significant experience in designing and building cages, or at least some well thought out reasons for one way or the other. Also, I’m not the least bit interested in what looks cool, I just want it to be safe…

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I never see racing vehicles with double hoops.
    just make sure you have some good diagonals to hold that main hoop in place

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

if you're worried about side roll strenth, put an x brace through the vehicle from top corner of the main hoop to bottom corner. That'll stiffen it up 10x what an extra hoop would.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I don't know jack$h!t about buildin' 'cages but I'd like to see some pics of your progress! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

5. BadDog

I agree, I've already got a "V" brace planned. That will fully triangulate the main hoop so it should effectively be the same as an "X" without being such an obstruction. The extra hoop consideration is just in the spirit of over-kill. My kids will be riding and they (especially my 15 year old son) are really gung-ho about riding some of the harder obstacles. For really dangerous stuff (or rather, high possibility of multiple hard rolls), I will definitely veto. However, I would like to be able to allow them to ride as many as is reasonable. Anyway, that's why I'm looking at this. Not sure how much extra "oomph" the extra hoop adds. Is it worth the work, materials, and weight? I'm not sure... At this point, I’m leaning toward it just for a little more peace of mind.

6. BadDog

They are coming, just not much to take pics of now. When I have more than a few pieces of bent tube and a couple of pieces spot welded together, I'll get pics... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. BadDog

Maybe I can get more feedback if I show you my rather lame mock-up. It's just heavy wire and hot glue but, it will give you an idea of what I'm doing...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are a little (or alot) blury but, you should be able to get the gist by comparing the images to see what goes where...

8. BadDog

Also, one more thing, there will be a bar coming forward fromt he b-hoop to the center of the front "door". That should help protect the driver from protrusions into the cage and stabilize the main hoop front to back.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

In the "old" days you would see a double hoop about 6-8"s apart on some sand runner jeeps. They'd weld a plate across the top to spread out the load if they turned it over in the sand. That would give it a bigger "footprint". /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Here are a few shots ya might want to look at:
    [​IMG]
    Almost every race truck/prerunner has the inverted "V" in the front.
    [​IMG]
    Top bracing on a Suburban
    [​IMG]