Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calculus Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 7, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What EXACTLY is Calculus? Course selection is coming up, and I need to figure out what courses I want.
    What is it, and what is it used for? (employment wise)

Thanks.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Its math. :D

But seriously, its just another form of math. There are buisness oriented calc classes and then the ones that focus more on the principles of it. Ive taken 3 so far, 2 last semester, both buisness oriented. If your good at math and have pretty good reasoning and logic skills, calc will be a piece of cake. At least it was for me.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Your taking it in college i'm guessing? because there is only 1 cal. course, and its 1 sememster (5 months) ?

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Its used to find areas, volumes, and find when a varying quanity reaches an extreme value. I would definitly take it if you're planning on going to college.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i took the whole calc package (I-IV and differential eq) back in the day. Basically calc deals with limits and differentiation/integration of functions of one or more variables. When you have a bunch of variables which change with respect to time it comes in really handy. Its really not that hard once you get into the math mindset. I hadn't taken a math class in 4.5 years when I got back into it at community college and you pick it up pretty quick, assuming you're willing to study...

j

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Calc is very important and is not easy as previously stated. I don't know what business calc is but in the world of enginering calc is no push over. It is really important to get it from day one of calc one.

I had to take all the way up to calc 4, I did well and it helps me at work all the time.

I would have to say there is less use for it than I originally thought. I use it for some heat transfer and fluid flow. But I only use it to verify the results that come out of the computer. I could easily get away without knowing it very well, but that could bite me in the ass later on.

What are you studying in school? What are your future plans?

-Chris

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

my future plans are in the metal fab. related industry. Either a welder, machinst, engineer, or something a long those lines.
    everyone is saying there is 4 calculus courses? Would it be better to take it after I grad at the local college? Or at school would they do the whole thing?

8. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I gradeated college without having to take calculus. I did have to take all the algebras and trigs. I hate math but really didn't have a use for cal. in my career. I was an art major with double minors in poly science and foreign language. I hate politics and can't even speak english well.

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

The books and course is just more oriented to buisness logistical problems, its mostly the same material, just presented differently. It turned out to be a waste, since im now going back towards Engineering, i really didnt need them, but oh well, i already took them.

Steve, are you taking this in a highschool course or college?

10. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

To be a welder/machinist you probably don't need it. Engineer you definitly will. 1-4 is in college, in high school you get a little of 1 and 2 in the one course.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I would take it in highschool if I can fit it in.

84k5,
    So highschool would only have 1-2, then college would have 1-4?
    ahhh!
    Maybe I'll do it twice:confused:

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

No. Highschool will cover *some* of the topics that will be covered in college 1-2, but not all of them. I took it in high school and 1-4 in college. Made it much easier.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

so you took the highschool version, but also the college version?

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah.

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have taken calc I, II, & III, plus diff eq (calc on steroids). I think it is a totally awsome way of using numbers (hi my name is Matt, and I am a geek). The basis was from the great mathematician Archimedes (one badass thinker).

It starts with the area of an unmeasurable object. The circle:) (I know the formula but it came from calculus<- don't make me write the whole proof). If you draw a 4 sided object (square) with all corners touching the inside edge of the circle. Add up the total length of all of the sides and you now have an approximation. Do it with a 5 sided object, then a 6 sided, then 7, then 8, then...... 100....... ect. Well that will get real old real quick (this is how arcemedes found pi [3.14] by hand on a chalk board with a ruler). You will be getting closer and closer each time. Well calculus does this in two steps with a couple of tricks (too hard to explain by typing). And then all hell breaks loose and you press the "I believe" button until it just clicks. Then you get real pissed at people who think we have never been to the moon cause you stayed up all night on a saturday proving it can be done and how long it would take if you could drive your blazer.

Now, if only linear algebra wasn't kickin' my azz:mad:.

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay I will probably do that too, just for the sake of knowing it.

17. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

linear algebra is gay. Glad to be done with that one.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yikes, Matt, it sounds complicated!
    What is linear alebra? Another college course for your engineer studies?

19. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Take the highschool class first if you can. It will make life a lot easier on you. It will be an overview at best but is well worth it. I went in w/o any prior knowledge and it cost me a couple of semesters (that and I am a lazy azz)

20. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dude after reading that I can feel my brain oozing out of my ear and down my cheek.