Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cali Brake and Lamp Insptecton HELP! Now Salvaged Tag

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xtrmjoe, Apr 30, 2007.

1. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I was rearended 2+ years ago. They wanted to total the truck because the bluebook value was so little that just to have it inspected would have been more than it was worth. They sent it to the totaled department, I had it professionally apprasied with all 12" of reciepts and after much deliberation I accepted there large offer but it would have to have a salvaged tag.
    I fixed the center pin in the rear leaf springs, only thing that really broke, but sure made the rig look like a it had a lot of damage. I dumped the $4,000+ grand into the rig. Crate motor, cage, seats, Ecteds fr/rr, Had drivelines ff/rr, alloy shafts, guages, etc.
    So now I have one last hurdle to getting the registration clear, a brake and lamp inspection. I asked a few weeks ago about what was involved and did not get a great answer so I took it in over the weekend to be checked. The guy just laughed. I need blinker indicators, brights, backuplights and a bunch of other stuff to pass. I have ripped out the dash so they are all there but "modified from stock".
    Does anybody know a 4x4 or CK5 friendly brake and lamp inspection shop in central or northern cali?
    Or am I stuck reverting all this suff back to stock, by removing much of the rollbar to get the dash and guages back in?
    What is the ramifications of getting a Green Sticker. I would really like to drive this thing to and from work a day a week or so when the weather is good. I dont want to have to trailer it everywhere it is still pretty street legal and full bodied (minus top doors and tailgate of course).
    I can not find the checklist of all the things they will inspect, thru DMV or google. Does any one have the list?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The CVC is available on-line, on the DMV web page. *Finding* anything in there is another matter, but it's all there.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm

If you don't have turn signals, brights, or backup lights ... what DO you have? Headlights only? Seems like either the guy you took it to was a bit tight-wadded, or your rig is not remotely street legal.

Green sticker only means you can drive it at the OHV parks, not on the street.

-- A

3. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I have turn signals, but not the dash indicators. I have lo-hi beams but no dash indicator for hi beams. I can insall the bulbs to be visable but it wont be "stock". I have rock lights with one aimed backwards, but the ones in the back of the tail lights do not work with the trans shifter. I do not have a spedo or odo at the moment either. I just use my gps for speed and a hour meter for maintance(one for ign on and one hooked to the 4x4 indicator light).

4. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I have a VC handbook and am aware of the things pertaining to those. But I think that bringing it back from salvaged is a whole other issue all togeather. I am really just looking for the check list of what they are going to inspect since I dont want to waste the 180 bucks.

5. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yeah sorry to say but your up a creek, you pb should have hacked out your dash if you were intending on driving it everyday...not too smart. So long story short yes you will have to do something about the interior indicators for all that stuff. maybe I just assumed "all that stuff was needed" as common sense though.:thinking: :thinking:

Remington

6. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yeah but you said you were rearended??? why does that involve hacking out your dash? again if you were aware of "the things partaining to those", why did you hack out your dash??? they are going to check for all that crap that you previously listed, I dont know how anal cali inspectors are, but in Houston around where my parents live they are very simplistic about it, if I cant see it, its a no go.

Remington

7. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Well the reason I hacked all that crap out is because with the settlement I got I bought a cage and some seats. To to get the cage to fit the way I wanted I just eliminated the dash completely. Most of the guages were broke and I wanted to upgrade anyway. The actual dash was so craked and messed up I took it out a long time ago. I have never been a fan of looks just function. I had stripped out all the carpet and back seat 10+ years ago. Trying to save weight and not haaving to worry about keeping it clean.
    I guess I was a little narrow minded on what exactly it took to bring it back from salvage. But the $4,000+ they offered clouded my judgment. I had no idea that a bright, blinker indicator was part of the law never herd of anyone getting fix it tickets for minor interior crap like that. My spedo has never worked so I have been using gps for a while.
    Well I guess the joks gonna be on me.
    I have contacted AAA and they do brake and lampinspections so I may go that route.
    I relly just need the checklist of what the hell they check so that I can get all that back in order.

8. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I dont drive it everyday. I do have a trailer and a dd but a lot of trails in Cali ie. rubicon require you to drive highway back to the trailer tow rig. Unless you have double the time to backtrack to where you started.
    Do you have a list of "all that stuff"? I mean what is actually required by law verses put there for fun? Do I have to have lighted 4x4 indicator too... Do you have to have a clock? Do you have to have a heater/ac defroster? I mean there is a fine line between required by law and creature comfort.

9. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If all you have to do is make lights that light up when those things are on that is not all that big of a deal but you do need a dash to put them in

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I can tell you exactly what they want to see.

I've been through this myself a couple times and just helped my buddy through it about 2 weeks ago.

Every light that came stock needs to work. You cannot have any cracked lenses, and all factory reflectors must be in place and pointing properly as they did when the vehicle was new. You must have hi and low beams with a working indicator light as well. The back-up lights must function. All brake linings must have proper lining material left. All drums and rotors must be within spec. License plate light must work. All turn indicators must work as well.

Also, here in Fremont the inspection is only 130.00 including the required certificates.

11. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Thank you just what I needed!
    Are my led front blinkers that work gonna pass?
    What wire from the trans is back up light?

12. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I wish I could be of more help, but I live in Texas and I would imagine the laws to be different since emissions laws are so different.
    Basically what they checked on my k5 the last time I had it inspected before I sold it was as follows.

check headlights lights hi/low-with corresponding indicators on dash for all applicable lights
    taillights
    backup lights
    turn signals
    e-brake
    they took it for a drive down the street and back to test brakes and steering
    exhaust emissions
    horn
    condition of bumpers
    mirrors.

I think thats it, but like I said Cali might have some bonehead rule that is different. Kinda like here, if you have dual rear tires, you have to have mudflaps to pass inspection. Although not everywhere does it, some are anal and will fail you because of it. learned that one the hard way. Maybe you could go to a junk yard or search on ebay or in the ck5 classifieds for a interior wiring harness that you could make a few mods to and swap into your truck. It might be easier than recreating a hacked wiring harness.
    Hope you figure something out, it sucks to have a truck you cant drive.

Remington

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As long as the lens is original factory and only the bulb is LED then it will pass. All lenses must be DOT (Department Of Transportation) and say so on them.