Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cali EPA crap

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by rcpilot, Apr 14, 2004.

1. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Folks, recently one of our members was pulled over into a check point by the EPA and citied for non emission complience on his '73 K5... they citied him for $300.00.. This is a Bull**** tatic... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I believe that because the EPA/Tree Huggers here in Cali could'nt repeel the 30 year smog exempt law that they are now using this tatic to screw with us... I am gathering a list of car/truck clubs in Cali that run older vehicles and I am going to e-mail them about this tatic to see if we can put some pressure on the EPA/Tree Huggers to stop this Gastopo (sp ) action...They have done this in El Centro, Ca. I don't know where else they are doing this... they state they are targeting older vehicles and "Big Trucks"...
    Please post up any clubs that you know of and there contact info if ya know it... you can also PM me with thier info..

Thanks,
    Scott

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just incase you don't realize, in the state of California it is unlawful to remove or modify ANY smog related component even though the vehicle no longer needs to be smogged.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

its def a lame tactic. older trucks and cars(30+) exist because the owners take care of them. All you have to do is stand on a corner for 10 minutes and see that new cars put smog out. Its so funny, we've all driven behind some fool blowing smoke and then you notice that they have new registration or a temp sticker on window. The EPA would have its hand's full if they were assigned (or even looked at) a school bus.

To actually open a hood on the side of a road and check for this stuff is TAX PAYERS MONEY WASTED. Unless there is smoke pouring out of exhaust, there should be no "checking".

4. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just incase you don't realize, in the state of California it is unlawful to remove or modify ANY smog related component even though the vehicle no longer needs to be smogged.

[/ QUOTE ]
    We totally understand that the law states that... however we have never heard of such tatics... are they now going to start ticketing all the old cars for aftermarket equipment?? This just seems to be a way for this state to get back at the older vehicles...recently the state was considering requiring all older vehicles to be turned in to the state for dismantling /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

We may not be able to fight them legally but we can put pressure on them through the proper channels though..

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Ive seen the roadside automated sniffers here set up on the on ramp twice...but nobody was being stopped (yet)master badge doesnt work on epa nerds... what a lame program...
    I hate Kalifornia... Im leaving....
    cam

6. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

hey Cam,

what do the sniffers look like? and are they what set off my radar detector w/ that spectrum alert /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif.

7. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I believe the sniffer uses an infra red sensor... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the same document it also states that 30+ older vehicles are excempt from all smog checks of any type. so technically epa pulled me into their check point to do a VISUAL INSPECTION on my smog equipment. a "VISUAL INSPECTION" is part of the CA smog test. it's so contradicktary. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am planning on fixing my smog equipment and take it to court, i hope the judge has pitty on me after spending all that time and money on a vehicle that i use once or mabe twice a month off the road and sometimes even out the country.

ARQ.

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

the EPA is posting the checkpoints on local newspapers, so beware and spread the word.

ARQ.

10. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

so what's the first thing you do when you buy a car. go to the DMV and register it.

well that's what i did. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifnow would EPA inspecting my vehicle so to meet cali smog requirements be contradicktory to this web page link.

not everybody has time to check all the laws. a few days ago i called the local CHP office and talked to an officer, an instructor. I asked him if i could tow an OHV register vehicle on the road/hiway. he said no, the vehicle can not be operated on the road/hiway if it's an OHV(it made sense that the tires/wheels had to be DOT approved). well he was wrong i was correct after spending 3hrs one night looking up the info. he appaliegized and said he did not have the time to look at all the LAWs, and that's his job. then they expect the comon public to know epa, chp, dmv, arb, ins, and who knows what other news laws are coming out. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i think i deserve my citation to be waived. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

ARQ.

11. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

12. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

sounds like it's getting closer and closer to the time of getting a lawyer and taking the epa down in california for assuming they are the athority here. we have every right to take back whats ours and to fight the powers that be. worst comes to worst get a new front radiator support, scrath all the vins off and paint over them and register it as a new vehicle. worked for what is now my 1974 3/4ton. i just need to register it again. thinking of not paying the $1200 and doing a salvage title on it though. hasn't been registered in 6+ years.

13. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

the sniffer was trailer mounted, white in color... looked like a portable radar trailer but no upright....
    tech was wearing black pants and a white shirt.... a commercial blue chippie was assigned to him... was immediately on the on ramp to the five////
    my badge wont work on these idiots so I keep the smogged desmogged k5 off the main highway during the hours they work.... daylight
    hopefully Ill move before I put it on the road again
    SMOG NAZIs.... jeesh put real crooks in jail like Knauf fiberglas in our area that buys /sells pollution credits so
    it can really pollute the air.... and they want to screw with citizens....
    aint fun here anymore... I hate KALIFORNIA

14. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Man
    I didnt realize they put so much pressure on you guys. That really sucks. I have never owned a vehicle with even a "cat". But then again i work at an exhaust shop so they get cut immediately...... Move to washington. THey dont care unless your in the big city's. Isnt there any county in Kali that dosnt do emissons testing???

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Isnt there any county in Kali that dosnt do emissons testing???

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well where I live (Humboldt County) You only need to smog apon putting the vehicle in Your name. I have not had to do a smog test on My Blazer since I first bought it in 90'. Most of crap You hear about is down in that other state known as Southern California. Im not really worried if they ever did have a sniffer thing up My way cause I would just BS My way out of it since I work with the local CHP on a daily basis /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    he appaliegized and said he did not have the time to look at all the LAWs, and that's his job.

[/ QUOTE ]

To a point. The CVC, being so damn thick and encompassing, I doubt there's a human alive that knows that thing.

The last I knew, tampering with any smog related equipment was a federal crime. Of course there's exceptions for replacement of failed items.

While it does surprise me that you got nailed, it shouldn't since the last few years when CHP was involved in breaking up street races, they usually had someone there just to look for smog violations.

Something seriously needs to be done though. Heck, I wasn't even smog legal the last 5 years I lived there, except when it came time to test. There's enforcing the law and then there's oppression. We need clean burning vehicles, but CA has gone off the deep end. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

17. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Bubba, that was exactly my point. most of the times I get into jams(i am sure it goes for lot others) like this is because of the same reason. I don't have time and i don't belive anyone has time to go through all these laws and comply.
    I've been going through the dmv website and it does state that 30+ and older vehicles need not comply to the smog check for any reason. that's when hoses, pumps, tubes and other caca hit the fan.

[ QUOTE ]
    There's enforcing the law and then there's oppression.

[/ QUOTE ]

rules were made to be broken to avoid oppression.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

ARQ.

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

IIRC, the federal standard was started in the mid-seventies, even though I know that might not help.

I haven't really paid attention to all that was said, but if this was me and I was still in CA, I would get the truck ran on a machine, and then compare the numbers to other, newer vehicles of comparable size if there's no defacto statement in CA law stating that smog equipment may be tampered with. The last smog test my truck had, it was well below the limits.

Fight the power and if you lose, then it may be a decision of leaving that hellhole behind. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Isnt there any county in Kali that dosnt do emissons testing???

[/ QUOTE ]
    Here in Imperial County (El Centro) where ARQ got his ticket it is a non Bi-annual Inspection County... only have to have the inspection done when you buy/sell a vehicle ... thats it what is nuts about this EPA crap they pulled on him... If they want to do a curriosity check due to the high levels of smog in the area then so be it but don't ticket us.. especially a "Smog Exempt" vehicle

20. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I can say this citation caca is over. I contested the case and my citation was withdrawn. I did have to comply and put all my smog cr@p back on, but it beats the $300.00

ARQ.