Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cali Smog Laws and my Dually

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Seventy4Blazer, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ok, so im moving 8 days from today. Back to camp pendleton i go(oceanside california for those of you who do not know.)

4.5 years ago when i checked in, i had to smog my 74 blazer to get a base sticker. no big deal as it is a visual inspection. well i couldnt pass that anyway. i SHOULD NOT have had to smog my rig as it was registered in oregon, but to get a base sticker base wanted it smoged.

my question is this. does a 1996 chevy dually with 454 have to be smoged? i know in some states "comercial" vehicles do not have to be smoged. comercial being 1 or mote tons weight carrying capacity. the dually is 2700lbs in the bed. 1.25 ton truck.

any ideas?
    thanks.
    Grant

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I don't know about nazifornia but in the areas of PA where we have emissions a 1 ton truck is exempt as long as it is registered over 9,000lb GVW

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yes, it has to be smogged, umless it weighs over 14k lbs.

4. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

my 88 3500 454 needs to be smogged yearly but it is srw!

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Well now you won't have to have your 74 smoged...but you will have to have the 96 smoged unless it is a diesel

6. Seventy4Blazer

TECHNICALY.. i would/will have to have the 74 smoged, IF i told them that i put a TBI motor in it. then it would be smoged as 87+ blazer. BUT who would go and do something silly like that.

as for the 96, i know it will pas no problem. but i dont want to pay the money to do it.
    oh well. thanks for the info folks.
    grant

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Um you still might have to have the k5 smogged ..Bringing a vechical from out of state into cali they want a smog and since the 74 model was once smoggable you might have to smog it just to get your tags...Let us know if that is the case..
    And BTW that means you are coming to Blazerfest in hollister then right.???
    And the Doors are about ready to go on that I got from you a while ago...lol /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. Seventy4Blazer

i can come to blaserfest, but wont be bringing the blazer. it is going in storage as soon as i get there. what are the dates for blazerfest?
    my blazer needs a LOT of work still. but given my situation with money it will be getting done a little faster. once i get established at work im going to find a second job. the tags on my blazer are WAY past due. ill be registering it in arizona whne its time as im keeping my house and renting it out, so i can get away with it. its registered in oregon now. the dually is registered in arizona. kind of stupid base requires me to get smog check. pricks.
    Grant

9. 88subgeorge

88subgeorge Registered Member

The '74 vehicle won't need to be smogged. Having a newer engine doesn't change that.
    There is no 14,000 GVWR limit on inspection of gasoline-powered vehicles. In metro areas, [some] trucks up to 10,000 GVWR must get a loaded-mode [ASM] test.
    For the straight scoop, go to

www.smogcheck.ca.gov

George [with a single-digit California smog license number]