Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calif. smog + vortec heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Catman, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Catman

Catman Registered Member

Do any of you know if vortec heads are smog legal in Calif. on a 1990 K5 with a 350??? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Boy that would be a toughy. I'm guessing they don't have a CARB EO#.

You can't run EGR through the Vortec heads (has to be piped in from the exhaust manifold/header) so it would be physically obvious what you had added.

The TBI manifold with EGR is fairly expensive, so on top of the hassle of passing emissions, you have to deal with the added expense. Maybe look into some aftermarket heads that will take your stock intake. Better springs/valves than the Vortec's, and your stock intake will save you about $300.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Why wouldn't they be smog legal? They are stock heads so they would have a hard time screwin ya over. EGR is the only hard part, but I dont know of any where on the emmissions sticker that says the EGR is through the heads or exhaust. Maybe go ask a guy at the local smog shop and see what he says.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Vortecs will change the compression ratio from stock. (AFAIK...Vortecs are 64CC, aren't stock TBI's 72CC?)

I mean I have no firsthand information on CA emissions. Are yuo saying that if you change heads, the swap doesn't have to be CARB approved?

It is entirely possible to do the swap and keep EGR, but if the compression is an issue (as everything else seems to be in CA) then there will still be problems if they notice they are Vortecs. Only reason I can see them noticing the type of head is the external EGR that will have to be run.

You CA guys know your laws better than I do, I just know some of the ways Vortec heads differ from stock earlier heads.