Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

California Caravan?

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by Burt4x4, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

So I have been 'planting' the seed in my wife's head that this is the year I am going back to Moab! I love that place! Awsome!
    So looks like she is no longer giving me the evil eye everytime I say MOAB, which means she is acepting the fact I am going...yaaahhhoooo. Married with kids this is a great milestone for me.

Now road trip planing begins! Last time it took us 2 days to get there but I & Greg72 were driving our first gens and lets just say going 60-65 for 11hrs takes a toll on ya after a while:
    [​IMG]

This time I am towing the K5 with my Silverado. It would be great to make it to Moab with out stoping for sleep. I would like to make it there in one shot to save time. last time it took 2days to get there and 2days to get back..that is 4 days of vacation/wheeling time...

So anyone else planing to go? If so are you willing to just go for it and get there in one shot?
    Burt

2. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Duder,

Great rigs! I would love to go, but it depends on my daughters schedule and how I get there. If I can figure out a way to tow my truck, I am in for the straight shot approach!

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I drove from Albuquerque Nm to my house in a day.And that was with a stop at the Grand Canyon that added three hours to the day.I think we can do Moab in one shot.

And if we git tired,we can stop and crash in my house :pimp:

Hey Im in that pic too :D

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

5. jagermiester

jagermiester 1/2 ton status

I am planning on going this year (we are talking bb06 right). Last year I let a friend borrow the truck and he blew the motor the week before. It sucked. This year I will be there with the new rig. Not sure If I will still be here in the reno area or if I will have moved to the santa monica area but either way there should be three of us going. Looking foward o some mor ehighway company.

6. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Provided my truck is running, I intend to drive it to Utah. I realize that it will be a fairly miserable trip, but anybody who knows me will attest to how incredibly stubborn (at work they call it "dedicated") I am. Add to it the fact that I am fairly ignorant and a knucklehead and you get me driving drinking Rock Star and coffee like they are going out of style rocking Slayer for as long as it takes!

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll be there as usual. I drive there in a straight shot but it's closer for me than you guys... It's exactly 747 miles from my front door to slickrock campground. Takes me right around 12 hours to get there without stopping other than to pee at the secluded overpasses....

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sounds GREAT! I will meet you on hwy99 in Bako after I hook up with Frizz just north of you:D
    DIESEL POWER!! YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:bow:

9. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Man i'd love to goto MOAB, but i haven't the rig for it, or anyway to get my current rig out there.

anyone have an open seat?!?! :D

10. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

If mine's done and I have a trailer by then...then I'm IN!!

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

*lurking*

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Ditto, kind of up in the air for me. I might be deployed in October:o

13. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Burt, Frizz,
    Will you be towing your trucks or driving? I will be towing, don't know if speed limits will allow me to keep up with the drivers.

Dave

14. willyswanter

They will be towing.

As far as speed limits, outside of CA the lowest limit is 65 but 90% of the time it's 70 or 75. Theres no 55 with a trailer limit outside of CA. I go about 75 the whole way to moab once I get out of CA towing. Problem is, the semi's are going 90 so even though I'm going 75 I'm still getting run over by the semis and the cars are going 110...

15. willyswanter

16. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes but if I lose them in Ca I would have hard time catching up (if they were driving and not towing). I don't know if my Fam will be up for driving straight through either.

The new tow rig did well with the trucks on 40 - late last week drove from Dallas on up home. I honked when passing through your town. :D

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The plans keep changing but for now we have a North Cali caravan heading out of cali via hwy 80..the plan is to leave Wednesday and sleep somwere close to the Nevada & Utah state line..wake up and be in Moab before nightfall Thursday...keep an eye on the thread posted above...