Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

California emission laws?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Sep 22, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I am moving to California soon. I have an 85 gmc jimmy with a 305. What are the laws on emissions there we dont hvae any emission laws in Ak so I am not sure if my truck would pass any tests. What happends if I fail a test will I be able to drive my truck still? Or is my truck too old for testing?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As of present, any vehicle 1973 and older is exempt from emissions testing. This law will be changing in 2004 to any vehicle that is 30 years or older being exempt. California has the strictist emissions laws and testing of any state AFAIK. The big thing to remember is to have a pre-test done so that you are not failed as a gross polluter. Once you have been tagged a gross polluter you have to deal with a state referee which will then be the only person able to give you a clear bill of approval to get your new registration sticker.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It will need to be tested. Basically, it needs everything that came from the factory with. It won't have as much emissions equipment as a truck originally sold in CA, but it will have to pass the smog test for a federally equipped vehicle. Basically, if you haven't stripped any of the emissions equipment off of it that it came with, you'll be fine. It should have an EGR, PCV, a carbon canister, heat riser on a stock intake filter housing (no open element), and possibly catilytic convertor, but I am not sure if federal trucks had cats in '85. You may need more stuff on there too, I'm sure that someone with an unmoleted federal emissions equipped '85 should be able to tell you exactly what it has. I know my '78 doesn't have any cats, it was originally from WA, so even though I live in CA the truck only has to have federal emissions. </font color>

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A little off topic but, I was looking forward to meeting some new faces at gregs party but i guess you went to Reno with your buddies or something. The party was pretty good, and getting bigger everytime. Maybe next time we will meet.