Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

California Emissions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Liberator, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

For the last 4 years I've been living temporarily in Kansas. While out here, I bought a 1981 Blazer and want to take it back to California. Anybody familiar with CA emissions. I don't have any emissions equipment on the truck and the 305 is being replaced with a 350.

2. xtremewlr

xtremewlr Registered Member

Well, truthfully, if I were you I wouldnt bither bringing it to CA. You will have to have all of the smog equipment installed and the CHP has to inspect it and there are othere fees that you will have to pay too. It might be easier and saner to just sell it and buy another one when you get here. My $0.02

ps. CA emissions suck big time.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bowtiecrawler.com>www.bowtiecrawler.com</a>
    78 Stepside K30, 468, 465, 205
    GM 14 bolt FF w/ detroit, D60 front

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Unfortunatly he is right. They are bad and getting worse......Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

4. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yep. Buy a 73 or older and your smog exemp.

Let The Sun Shine Down Upon My Face
    Topless 73

5. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

dont sell it. all you need are the emissions equipment that came on the truck, which probably DOESNT include smog pump and possibly other stuff.. they modify requirements for vehicles originally sold out of state..

mike

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Well I have played the smog game here lately... good luck passing it without the smog equipment on it. As for replacing the stuff on it... if it wasn't orginally sold in CA, chances are it didn't come with the stuff we all have if our rides were first sold here... How much do you have invested in this truck...? I personally would sell it and then get something here that would pass smog without the work... what area are you coming too...? I know of a few trucks for sale in my area. Anyhow, if you look into things, you probably find it's not worth the trouble for the cost..... good luck......

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

7. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

This is a great chance for you to sell it and buy yourself a '73 or older full convertable. Even once you get all the proper equipment, you still have to play the game every time you have to get a new certificate. If you get something older, then it doesn't matter what you do to it and nobody will care as long as it isn't too loud.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

8. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I'll be moving to the Orange County area. I have a lot invested in this truck. Except for not having a Dana 60 up front, I'd have to say that the truck is where I want it to be as far as capabilities. If the CHP inspects the truck I'm screwed! If a third party checks the truck, I may be able to pass the computer emissions! I've just spent too much money on the truck and would rather pay for storage.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The $300 smog impact fee is gone so you don't have to worry about it. Little bit advice, keep your residence in Kansas keep it tagged in Kansas. No one will know the difference unless the law has a roadside chat with you.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Friends sister took her '82 K5 to CA about 4 or 5 years ago. Even back then it cost her at least $400 to get the thing to pass their emissions. That was with a brand new (read=tuned well) stock GM 350. I also believe she had everything on that truck emissions wise.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

11. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

OK you just said the truck is basically where you want it to be.. if it were ME in your shoes, selling it would be out of the question. if you have to register it in cali, dont sweat the smog stuff. its not that big of a deal on these older trucks.. People are talking like nobody knows how to work on their trucks.. I could have all the smog stuff installed in a day, easy. The HARDEST part would be the air injection/smog pump stuff.. you'd have to get manifolds with the AIR-manifold fittings, the AIR-manifolds themselves, the smog pump and brackets, and diverter valves and stuff, along with related tubing/small parts.. it would be a pain but definately do-able. and you dont even have to do that stuff because Im willing to bet your truck didnt come with it! so bam, thats out of the way. Every junkyard has about 20 late 70's caprice, etc with all the smog stuf that will bolt right up anyway..

so you're looking at what, EGR? Cat? my '77 (sold in cali) did not come with EGR.. only the 454 in '77 did.. not sure about your year but it would be easy to find out.. you might have an EGR manifold already, anyway.. they're dirt cheap in a junkyard (OR NEW from edelbrock) if you dont.

as for CAT, your truck probably did come with a cat.. my '77 did not.. what would it be to go buy a cat and bolt/weld it on? BFD.

everything else is little stupid junk that most places will overlook anyway.. heat-riser tube, and that little flapper in the snorkel that it hooks to, its nothing. so you might have to get that stuff working, no biggie at ALL. only other thing I can think of is carb vacuum lines.. you'll probably want a quadrajet on there, but im not sure what they'll say if they see a carter/holley.. if you've got the vacuum lines to the heat-riser flapper hooked up, thats about it....

the only other thing that I can think of that they check is timing.. you might have to retard your timing a bit..

list sound big? its not. well it might be if you dont wrench on your own truck (most people who own these older vehicles DO though.)

I would have no problem getting your vehicle to pass for 2-300 dollars MAX.. my local smog guy doesnt even charge for a pre-test.. you can always drive it to a station and say hey buddy, check my truck out.. you pop the hood and he'll have a look-see and tell you if he sees anything out of order.. you go home, fix it, bring it back and hop on the sniffer/dyno and pass.. i have a few 77's and they always pass with FLYING colors.. the MAX level for passing hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen is pretty lenient.. im usually not even 1/3 of max..

well anyhoo.. is california smog a pain? yes. is it impossible to pass/live with? hell no. Let me tell you, I would *NOT* trade places with some of you guys that have to get inspected every year.. ive heard MANY horror stories about that.. you have to pay to have someone check your seat belts? horn? blinkers? tires? WTF? Gimme cali emissions any day..

i dont know a whole lot about this, but ---- there IS a state-set limit to how much smog repairs should cost.. theres a sign in all smog stations. dont know what happens when you spend that amount though.. do they waive you? dunno.. I think the limit is something like $350 or so..

good luck

-mike-

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hi Mike. I'm in So Cal too, have a 76 that passed smog before I bought it (I have a year left on it b4 I have to smog again). Somehow mine passed with true duals, headers, no cat. When I bought it I asked my mechanic if that was possible legally, and he said "Sure" without hesitation. I asked another mechanic I trust, who told me that different years have different requirements. I was sweatin the thot of having to try to resmog it next year, but i guess worse case I'll go back to the place that smogged it last year. Anyway, point is, I think you may be right.

13. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Well, I guess my first step is to find out where my rig was bought and what emissions equipment was on it from the factory. I think I'll try to make it pass. I have 6 months before I move back to So Cal. I think that's plenty of time! What about the engine swap? Will it matter the truck originally came with a 305 and now has a 350 or will have in a couple of months?

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't tell them you've swapped motors. i've heard horror stories of the smog testers checking the block castings, but I can imagine that is the exception rather than the rule. My friends sisters K5 originally had a 305, and the problems she ran into were not what motor it had, jsut that it wouldn't pass smog.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I've dealt with OK safety inspections and CA smog. My K5 has seen one visual inspection, but now I take it somewhere it doesn't get a visual, but it's still legal. My K5 won't pass a safety inspection right now. I'll take the smog.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

16. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

BRBoudreaux, where in CA are you?

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Central Valley, the place where all the smog you Los Anglelinos create goes. [​IMG]

18. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Never trust air you can't see :)

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

If it was more like back home, where the wind comes whipping down the plains, it wouldn't be bad. But when I'm 20 miles from the mountains and I can only see them 10 days out of 365, there's a problem.

20. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Agreed. But one can always hope that L.A. will soon fall into the ocean.