Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

California emissions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Magnus88, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Magnus88

Magnus88 Registered Member

Ok, since i don't live in the US i dont have too much knowlege about your emission laws, but to my understanding the state of California is much harder than the others. My '88 K-5 has a sticker that says "this vehickle conforms to california regulations bla bla bla..." Does this mean that it's got more emission controling gadgets on it than others, or is it just because it is an 88 and therfore is required to have a cathalytic converter etc. etc.?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yes, CA has more requirements than other states so yours will have the cat which is in all the states and probably AIR also called smog pump which is a CA only item.
    And of course you will have EGR.
    Someone will chime in if I missed anything.

3. Magnus88

Ok, thanx! I do have the "smog pump". Is that the only thing that is CA specific? It must be expensive to make special things just for one state. Well, i will check if maby i can get rid of the extra weight and still pass emissions here. Does it effect performance in any way?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well it didn't affect performance on mine, but when I removed it I could work on my engine better, and I tested it and it didn't have much difference and it could still pass smog here except visual inspection.

5. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

For the guy who passed smog with-out the pump...
    --
    That a TBI...?? Or at least a computer controlled carb
    --
    The TBI only uses the smog pump when it is cold, heats the O2 sensor and the cats, plus works like an old non computer in cold engine open-loop
    --
    When warm, in closed-loop, AIR is routed to the air cleaner and does nothing
    Some of the computer controlled carbs worked the same way, but some ran the air downstream into the cats when hot...I doubt the later would have passed smog...
    --
    If A.I.R air runs ONLY to the manifolds and the air cleaner it is the simple type..the other has a line to the cat...
    --
    --
    As far as Ca Smog Equipment..it is more complicated than simply 'more equipment'
    --
    Earlier models were about 1-2 years ahead of the rest of the US 49 states cars/trucks..and had Cats, EGR's and AIR pumps earlier..

By the 1980's, things started to close up, by the mid 1980's, the differences were very subtle..

Things like different mapping (calibration) in the computer, and different cams...

In the newest cars, there is actualy very little difference between Ca and the rest of the country

California EA Smog technician (the highest level), I have had a Califonia Smog Liscence since 1974
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For the guy who passed smog with-out the pump...
    --
    That a TBI...?? Or at least a computer controlled carb
    --
    The TBI only uses the smog pump when it is cold, heats the O2 sensor and the cats, plus works like an old non computer in cold engine open-loop
    --
    When warm, in closed-loop, AIR is routed to the air cleaner and does nothing
    Some of the computer controlled carbs worked the same way, but some ran the air downstream into the cats when hot...I doubt the later would have passed smog...
    --
    If A.I.R air runs ONLY to the manifolds and the air cleaner it is the simple type..the other has a line to the cat...
    --
    --
    As far as Ca Smog Equipment..it is more complicated than simply 'more equipment'
    --
    Earlier models were about 1-2 years ahead of the rest of the US 49 states cars/trucks..and had Cats, EGR's and AIR pumps earlier..

By the 1980's, things started to close up, by the mid 1980's, the differences were very subtle..

Things like different mapping (calibration) in the computer, and different cams...

In the newest cars, there is actualy very little difference between Ca and the rest of the country

California EA Smog technician (the highest level), I have had a Califonia Smog Liscence since 1974

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you are refering to me.
    I didn't pass smog I tested it on at a friend of mine and the difference was marginal and this was a '75 Jeep 360 no cat just the AIR.
    I am hoping since I passed smog last year and next year 75 would be exempt that I will not have to put the stuff back.
    We'll see next year.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So where are you located? I need a good smog tech to do the final smog on my 74.

8. the professor

SF, on dissablility, not working, no station..couldn't do your vehicle anyway...
    ==
    Would be glad to do it if I could /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    SF, on dissablility, not working, no station..couldn't do your vehicle anyway...
    ==
    Would be glad to do it if I could /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you still have connections or do you still follow the new laws coming out?
    I need to know if I will need to smog my Jeep again if the law doesn't change, 75 should be exempt next year as 74 was this year.
    I smogged mine last year and I am assuming it shouldn't need one next year since it will be exempt. right?
    can you confirm?

10. the professor

sorry, but the answer is MABY...
    --
    they keep changing the law...trying to get the older cars off the road..
    --
    for now at least, you are correct /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
    --
    And yes, my liscence is current..I retest every two years..

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Proffessor, I hope you can help me. I have an 85' california emmissions equiped K-k. I am replacing the tired old 350 with a nice healthy 406sb. I know I have the computer controlled Q-jet. I am having jet performance build a custom chip for it and the carb rebuilt. Is there anything i'm forgetting and is there any problems I will be facing that I don't know about. I appreciate any advise,thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Magnus88

Yes!!! Phoned the agency responslible for checking the vehicles here in sweden (dunno how to translate it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif). Due to the truck being imported and weighing over 2500 kg i dont have to keep any of the emisson-controlling $hit, including the cat. Headers and sidepipes here i come!

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes!!! Phoned the agency responslible for checking the vehicles here in sweden (dunno how to translate it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif). Due to the truck being imported and weighing over 2500 kg i dont have to keep any of the emisson-controlling $hit, including the cat. Headers and sidepipes here i come!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you are lucky.
    I lived in the middle east for a long time and there, the dealership doesn't recieve the new cars with cats and if you get a second hand car imported, first thing people do is hack the smog stuff off.
    I don't know if it's a conspiracy against that area to get the smog levels higher but to me it was one less thing to worry about.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    On my dads mercedes we asked the dealership to sell us a cat, they couldn't even special order it.
    They had special replacement sections, bolt on, in stock and said you don't really need the cat.
    /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. Magnus88

Hehe... well the laws here are quite strict actually, so i guess i just got lucky. I'm not really againtst protecting the enviroment, i love being outdoors camping, but as you said it's one less thing to worry about. There is way to much electronics in my baby as it is.

15. the professor

To rifquitar:

The JET chip for a carb engine ONLY CHANGES THE IGNITION TIMING CURVE it has NO effect on the carb

AT WOT the CCC carbs revert to open-loop and act just like a non-computer carb...

Make sure the sec upper air valve buterflys open to 90deg, bend the stop on the pass side, you can see how it works when you open the butterflys by hand

Make sure the secondary main butterflys open slightly more than 90degrees (important for Chevy), and the primary 90 degrees ...at WOT check off the car

Many different size secondary needles are available from Edelbrock..

Pull the needles (from the top not inside)-and measure the tip, get a couple sets smaller..use to tune..don't screw with the primary..

Hope this helps.. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not disagreeing entirely, but CCC Q-jets have more tuning in them than just secondary side. I'm a pretty firm believer that there is adjustment that is *likely* (perhaps not necessary in all cases) needed on the primary side when changing engine displacement.

I've seen them first hand, there are multiple differences on the CCC Q-jet primary side, based on application. (Engine make, CID, etc)

I'd try running it as is, but if you are having idle or cruise problems, tuning might be able to take care of it.

17. the professor

I must have built 1000 or more Q'jets, since 1965...

Usualy the ONLY thing necessary on the primary side, if anything is:
    --
    IF the idle screws do not respond, you need to remove the idle ajustment screws and inlarge the holes into the throttle bores at about .002 a time...can be done on the car..alum housing..

If, after set the idle speed, and you remove the carb..Look at the "transfer slot" in each throttle bore, with the throttle closed, there should be no-more than about .040 under the throttle plate, if there is drill a hole in each throttle plate, start around .030 and try it..if there are holes, enlarge them..keep it up until you get idle speed with the "slot" only showing about .040

If this is not done, the carb will not run on the idle system, but will run on the "transition slots" making idle adjustment almost impossible

Mid range:..set the "rich stop", if adjustable, all the way out..if no adjustable, file the top stop

Worst case senerio, lean part throttle, drill main jets, .002 at at time

99.9% of the time NO modification of the primary side is necessary on a properly functioning carb...and ONLY changing the secondary needlse is necessary

I am running a "stock" 1984 HO302 Z28 CCC carb, on a 400cid sb, World heads, Crane computer carb, Performer manifold, SLP headers in at 1986 Z28 Camaro, built for a neighbor..Richmond 6 spd...

it passed CA smog..and runs lowest time 12.72-114mph, and is driven every day

Oh yea, it runs on 87 unleaded /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

well since we have a guy that actually knows what he is talking about here, maybe he can help me out. my 76 failed today because my NO levels were about 200PPM too high on both the 15 and 25 MPH tests. do you have any suggestions as to get those levels down in order to pass???? also the timing was at 9* and its supposed to be 4*, the smog guy said that shouldnt be the reason why, what do you think??? thanks

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm assuming GM didn't know what they were doing with multiple power piston springs, about 70 combos of primary rods and jets, along with the idle air bleed settings, rich stops, and so on?

http://members.dandy.net/~k0xp/Oldsmobile/E-Qjet-Parts-PNs2.htm

I'm not saying you can't get them to work, but I *am* saying to get the best all around performance, you tune the whole carb, not just the secondaries. You can use a Q-jet on a straight 6 or a 454, but you don't tune them the same and expect both to work as good as they can.

20. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Professsor, I have a question about my exhaust system on another post in the garage about 1cat or 2. If you see it could you give me your opinion? Sorry to ask this on somebody else's post!!