Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

California out-of-state vehical inspection?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by hidesertwheelin, Feb 6, 2005.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is involved in the inspection process when buying a vehical from out of state? What do they check? Do they look to see if frame vin# match the vin# on the vin plate?:D Thanks for the help!

2. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Basically..

If it comes into the state and will be staying and registered, it has to be modified to meet or exceed California Air Resources Board smog rules.

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have bought two vehicles from out of state. It does have to pass smog for that year.. And DMV checks to make sure if it is a gas or desiel. They check that the vin is matching from door to dash.. They have to have at least two matching vins on it. If there is only one. They will go to the hidden one.. The reason I now this was I bought a jeep from OR. It had the half doors and the day I took it to DMV. I almost took the doors off. I asked him what would have happened if I did.. He aid he would have to go to the hidden one. I was going to sell the half doors.. But now I will be keeping them..

4. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The vin is off of a 74 blazer. The only win# I know of is on the door. There isn't one on the dash. Do they check the frame? Where is the hidden vin # on these? What if the bofy was thrashed and I "had" to swap on a different body?

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Not sure how they would do it then.. I now he said he had to confirm the vin# in two places.. I now a 74 doesn't have it on the dash..???

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

There is a partial vin stamped on the top of the drivers side frame rail. Located approx under the drivers floor board. It would take a mirror and flashlight to see it with the body still on.

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

my brother in laws Burb just failed cali smog because it didn't have a timing tab on it...?:crazy: It passed the sniffer, but no timing tab so he failed... now that is an F'd up system.