Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

California Smog Laws

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve_Chin, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Read this:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.classicalpontiac.com/qa7/display.cgi?number=30754>http://www.classicalpontiac.com/qa7/display.cgi?number=30754</a>

The gist of this is that they want to go to dynamometer testing for all cars in CA and they want new loopholes through which they can dump pre-'74 cars into the referee checking system. Write your congressman and have this stopped!

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

better start planning/saving for that NGV conversion. NGVs are excempt form smog checks, last i checked :-)

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads up.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

4. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

&lt;~~~This truck hasnt been registered sence 98, I started building the engine thinking when I got done with it it would be the year 2000. being a 75' I was under the impression that it was 25 years excempt, soo off came all the stupid $hit and on with the edlebrock... well 2000 came and, WHAT do you mean I need a smog! well being curious I took my edlebrock 750 off and put a stock 600 on. I took it to a localtest only shop and wanted to see how it did. here's what I got,
    A GMC crate engine, edlebrock intake, slight RV cam, headers,dual 40 series flowmaster into 3" exhaust pipes, no cat, no erg valve.
    The guy who tested it couldnt belive the first test, he thought his exhaust probes were bad so he switched them to a new set. put two probes into my tips and ran the test again.
    Now the CO% is where you have most of the problems. the max CO you can have and pass is 3.72 at 15mph on the dyno, mine measured at 0.14 / at 25mph on the dyno max is 3.52, mine measured 0.31 both test well below the the max.
    The guy who tested my truck was shocked. and he said he couldnt belive it, he said it blew cleaner emissions than a new car? but it still wouldnt pass the visual. Its Kaliforniacation. If the state wanted clean air it shouldnt matter what you do to your engine, as long as it blows clean emissions. Just had to rant and rave because this subject pisses me off.
    And as far as the law, it is the sellers responsibility to make sure the vehical can be smogged, and the seller will have to make any adjustments to get it smogged, even if you sell it "AS IS" according to the judge when I was taken to court by the buyer. I had to spend 600.00 switching every thing back to stock when I sold a pumped up ranchero.

Thanks,
    Tony

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks StevO
    I am lucky I still have my 'smog box' stored in the garage! I use to have to get mine smoged so I have a little kit that I bolt on then remove after the smog passes. I hope I never need to dig out the box but I do know I ain't gettin rid of it just incase the Fn politicians/hipocrites decide they can make money off us exsempt guys I have a way to pass........

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Burt........what's a smog test? [​IMG] HAHAHAHAHA

I remember around the campfire at BlazerFest, all the 2nd Gen guys would be commiserating over the hassles of smog laws. One of the 1st Gen guys would get this smart-a$$ look on his face and ask "What's a smog test?".....then all the 1st Gen guys would laugh uncontrollably and high-five each other.

I really enjoyed campfire humor like that!

-Greg72

7. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

greg, i wish i could have been there to join in the laughter. beleive me i was laughing when i read it. where do you live? all the first gen guys need to get together some time and do something. my trucks almost done.its in the interior shop right now. catch ya later

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/tmanofcali1>http://community.webshots.com/user/tmanofcali1</a>

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I seem to remember that Steves wouldn't start that morning because he didn't have a smog pump................LOL

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

ya ya ya,LOL!! My shitty wiring was the cause of that!!!
    I like the high five post Greg!! heheh LOL
    Tman- let us know when your rig is out of the shop!! I want to see it!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

10. MKeen

MKeen Registered Member

Don't live in CA but, I have a question. Some 1978 Blazers had zero smog stuff on them and dual exhaust. What do you do in CA with those?

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

tman's blazer it fn sweet!...but i think it just might be too nice to be taken off road =-) haha

Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!

12. Greg72

T-Man,

Do us a favor and get some more pictures on your Webshots site.....but this time park it in the sunlight!! [​IMG]

Seriously, it looks like an AWESOME K5.....but some of the pictures are too dark to really see the details. Don't forget to show us the new interior shots too.....

It's inspirational for the rest of us to see a K5 coming "back to life"!!!! [​IMG]

To be sure....we will need to have more gatherings. I can check out your ride, and I should be ready to show off the stereo I've been working on....

-Greg72

13. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

In Cali the automakers had to make California versions of all their cars to follow our laws. In your state the 78 may not have come with a converter but in all likely hood we have it. If you bring that truck to Cali you will have to get it up to smog standards or you will go down as a gross polluter and not be able to be registered.

Chris M

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html>http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html</a>

14. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Guys, don't forget that they will be deploying more roadside remote sensing stations and if they pick up high amounts of emissions, you will need to go in for a referee test. It won't matter if your vehicle is a pre-'7, because all '64 and up vehicles have to have some sort of smog equipment on them. The worts part of it is that they have no dyno standards for the older vehicles and they also will be trying to use a single, broad set of standards for the older vehicles, which will likely require stuff like EGR (which none of the vehicles had) so they can send them off to the crusher. Call or write your congressman and tell them you won't put up with crap like that!

15. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is a subject that is hard to even think about.
    We'll just have to equip our K/5's with anti-remote sensing device missle launchers. Anyone with me?
    ..But seriously, my boss was telling me that he has known of these for some 6-8 years. He said that he saw one on a freeway onramp, and he shut off his '68 Camaro and coasted by the remote sensing station, and then turned the key back on after he was way past it. Got me thinkin that's some good advice.

16. Jimmy1972

Jimmy1972 Registered Member

This might be a silly question, but if I have to sell my 72 does
    it have to pass smog?

17. Greg72

Jimmy72....

You are exempt from doing a smog check prior to selling your vehicle. By law, the seller is responsible for providing proof-of-smog BEFORE the vehicle is transferred to a new owner.

The person who buys is it also exempt from smog checks.....unless the law is changed at some point in the future.

-Greg72
    "exempt" and happy about that. [​IMG]