Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

California smog problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hfranger, Dec 8, 2005.

1. hfranger

hfranger Newbie

My 86 jimmy is failing the HC when I had it smogged. We tried the standard timing and mixture adjustments. that got it down but not enough. any suggestions?

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Maybe lean it out just a tad more, and retard the timing a li'l bit, then as soon as yer done with the smog test bump 'em up. :dunno:

This is why I got rid of my 81 and 86 and picked up a 73 4x4.

3. seattle73k5

seattle73k5 1/2 ton status

:D Get a vin number tag (the whole section in the door frame, :hack: cut yours out and weld :weld:in the whole section it has a false wall inside the tub so after you smooth the welds :grind:and paint it know body will know)and pink slip :deal: from a pre smog vehicle and your all set.:D

you can build the crap out of the motor and run what you want with no fear from the smog gods.;)

Not that i would know anybody who has done this before.:whistle:

This is "informational" only I wouldn't expect anyone to take this suggetion and actually do it.:haha:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

try...

Adding some Isopropanol "Dry Gas" will lower hydrocarbons a lot..use 2-3 bottles in a 1/4 tank of gas..Denatured Alcohol works too..That "Gaurenteed to Pass" stuff at parts stores isn't much more than Alcohol and a few other chemicals..it helps too..might lower it enough to make yours pass the sniff test...:crazy:

5. Bowtie Don

Bowtie Don Registered Member

Smog problem

To the rest of my fellow Californians, there is a little known fact that in MOST of the counties in CA, smog checks are NOT required every 2 years!!! For instance I live in Marin County (just north of San Francisco), and I register all of my vehicles in Lake County (just east of Santa Rosa). To do this I obtained an address from a private parcel post at which point the state of CA only requires ONE smog check for the LIFE of the vehicle!!! So now my two '79 Jimmys, my two Camaros and my Corvette are all registered in Lake County. Haven't done a smog check since. Bowtie Don

6. trailblazr81

I knw about the counties that only require smog checks when buying/selling a vehicle. So does your license and have this address on it? Also then do you have the mail forwarded to you or what?? Hows that all work?? You can PM me if prefer to.

7. Bowtie Don

CA smog laws

My CA driver license is NOT in Middletown, (Lake County) it is where I currently reside as required by state law. The Pak 'n Post forwards my mail when I request them to do so, or when I drive up there on a weekend of boating and fishing and pick-up my mail-which is only DMV related. There is no law that says you cannot have multiple addresses or residences. Only that your driver license has your PRIMARY residential address.:wink1: Bowtie Don

8. trailblazr81

Very interesting.... :thinking:

The wheels turn slowly but they do turn!!! :grin:

9. Bowtie Don

Get those wheels turnin' boy!

To every dead end we must blaze new trails. To this beaurocractic a**hole I found a butt-plug!!!:D Bowtie Don

10. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I have done the same with all of my vehicles. It doesn't go just by Counties but certin areas of counties. They are listed on the CA website. Not only does it help you with a vehicle that doesn't comply, but it saves you time and money every two years. I have 5 vehicles currently registered so it is a significant savings. If you look through my old posts I have several about the subject and some links to the regs. etc.

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

smog

"This'll be GREAT!" Flounder, Animal House.:bow:

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If your readings aren't too far off now a new cat will do the trick. The cat will also help lower the nox reading.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

That worked for me also on a '79 Seville, we worked hard to limp thru compliance & the tester reco'd a new cat. Two years later, clean as a whistle. Otherwise, keep two running motors, just swap-in the wimp every two years; probably need to teardown that deep every two years anyway.:D

14. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

in my s10(which is now totaled) it read over 1000 on the hydrocarbons, major tune up(included goingt back to stock thermostat, put original chip back in) later 600s, new cat, 8!