Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

California smog question

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by hidesertwheelin, Feb 4, 2007.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So my 90 Suburban came form the factory eith a federal emissions package, which means no A.I.R. pump. Have any of you cali guys used some cheap jegs headers and just tapped a hole and installed a O2 sensor? Did it pass smog?

2. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

It wont pass smog leagally unless your headers have a carb label for them....

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

If you need some smog stuff I got a whole box. Let me know what you need. :D

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why are you wanting to put AIR on when it's not needed since it was federal and was never there? :confused:

5. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

He is not trying to put AIS in. The headers should be C.A.R.B. approved or they will more than likely fail you. Technically you can just put headers with an o2 sensor bung in it and make the system operate but you have to run duals into 1 pipe to be legal. legal headers should not be that much more than regular ones without the bung in it.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As long as the vehicle did not have AIR then any headers can be installed and able to pass smog. Just got to make sure that the smog decal is intact and clearly shows there was no AIR on the vehicle.

7. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thats the answer I was looking for, But I plased a call to my local smof referee just to be sure.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I ran into this with a Federal yota that has a header. Still has to have an E.O. number for the headers to be legal. With the O2 sensor in the picture the mfg has to prove to CARB (an autocracy if I ever saw one) that they haven't affected emissions by moving the sensor's location, no matter how small a distance.

9. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

emissions help

so the best bet is to go with shorty headers? i am from mass but got a job opportunity out in san diego. i was thinking about shipping my truck out there. the only problem would be the emissions. i had AIR injection in my original 1988 engine. i built a blown 355, but know thats not gonna pass;) how much can you get away with before you start running into problems? any help would be greatly appreciated. also is there a lift limit. i have 8" on 38.5's thanks dave

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

No lift limits; the only thing we check is smog.

I don't believe the CHP inspects the vehicles coming in from out of state, as I didn't have to when I brought in a '77 from NV. Note that safety inspections are CHP, *not* DMV ... the only thing the DMV cares about is emissions.

-- A

11. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

so if i just kept my truck with a mass sticker / registration it should be fine? or do they go after out of state stickers? CHP - cali. highway patrol ?

12. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You get pulled over they will nail you for not updating your registration/licence and updating your registration. The ticket is a fix it ticket I think so not a big deal.