Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

California wildfire getting ready to claim my home.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the `Lytle Creek' fire started at the begining of the week, and looked pretty scarry, although it was a good 4 or 5 miles away... figgured they'd have it out in no time. of course, here it is a week later, it's still burning, and now it's about 1/2 a mile from my house, santa anna's are starting to blow, and the one fire break ( the 210 freeway ) is lined with Eucalyptus trees, which kinda negate that whole thing.

so, this morning I picked up my computer, birth certificate, car titles, and an extra pair of pants, and may be living out of the back seat of burbanzilla shortly*

-Rich

*(not really, I can always stay at the grandfathers house..)

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If I were you I'd be cutting down every freakin' tree within 50 feet of the house and dragging them away. If there's no fuel near the house, then ya don't have to worry nearly as much.

I live in the "urban interface" in Colorado and have trimmed the trees away from my house. The exterior is stucco and the roof is concrete tile, so I don't have to worry too much about my house getting lit by flying embers. But it would still suck to live here if everything nearby was just scorched earth. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Some of my neighbors have trees literally touching their wooden decks, so I expect that their houses would burn to the ground if a fire were to start around here. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Good luck! I hope that everything turns out good for ya! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Good luck to you... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That SUCKS.... Good luck! Hope the 210 stops it.

One of my folks friends in WA went through that last year with the one on the Cali line. His drive way becuase it was a turn around style big enough for the fire trucks was last line. He and the FD cut down all the trees in that area. They got it stopped a 1/4 mile away.

Just remember the house can be replaced. Get you butt out of there. Rather not hear anything happend to you.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Big problem in So Cali is we get some big rains during the winter then early springs which causes everything to grow like crazy. During the summer things dry out. When the Fall season arrives, and the Santa Ana winds start were in trouble. The winds come off the upper deserts and get warmer as they compress coming down over the mountain ranges. The humidity can drop into single digits, when that happens, stuff likes to burn.

The Malibu fires of a couple years back were so hot and moving close to 10-15 mph over the hills, with fire fueled winds of over 100MPH and extremely hot. Thats what they call a Firestorm. It feeds on itself and virtually impossible to stop it. With winds blowing the ambers fly for miles. It actually jumpped the pacific coast highway and burned the houses right down to the water.

Cali wildfires are some of the hardest to fight during Santa Ana condx. And when the winds are blowing hard, they cant use the water dropping planes of helicopters.

Man, I feel for you. I have lived in So Cal my whole life and have been evacuated a couple times. All you can do is hope those firefighters can get it under control.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Rich, the 210's pretty wide tho, even with those eucalyptus there. Are you south of the 210? If so, altho I'd still be ready to go (those embers can really travel) I'd be surprised if it hops the freeway. i've seen it happen, but fire service will make a stand there so it doesn't.

That said, the smoke is gonna be a beotch.

I helped evac friends from the Alta Dena fire some years back. We spent the day running the hose on the house to keep the hot embers that were falling on the house from igniting, while the fire was still 2 miles away. It was a real firestorm. Got some movies of it. Pretty spectacular - like the malibu fire.

Hope ya don't have to leave. At least you'll have a place to go if you do.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Do you have a chunk of land? You could go try to rent a dozer and clear a firebreak around your house, then crank up the water pressure at the shutoff valve and be ready on your roof with a good high volume hose nozzle... Run your sprinklers like crazy, and put one on your roof too... Just be ready to bail at a moments notice.

Good luck!

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That the one up by Rancho Cucamonga? I left there last night, could not believe how it is growing since earlier in the week. Hope the Santa Ana's don't hit.............

Good luck, keep us posted. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Man, that's insane! Having never lived in mountain country I can't even imagine that. Good luck to you! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Good luck to you..

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I don't own the land, I'm renting a guest house behind a main house. earlier, the fire managed to hop over the 210 down closer to the interchange, but the managed to kill the flames. as for winds, there were a lot of swirling winds, and gusts coming down out of the mountains. I called the guy's I'm renting from, and thus far, they're still there. smoke does suck, and it's hitting me down here in southern fontana/ontario pretty bad too.

main thing is, I have a crapload of stuff to get done today, that just isn't happening, because I have Zero concentration, or less... probably won't be heading back to phoenix tonite, and I'll end up just coming into work tomorrow to try and make up some of the time.

12. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

good luck bro. let us know if theres anything we can do.

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sorry to hear the Rich. Last month We had the Canoe and Honeydew fires up here. The only thing that stoped them was the Eel River and good planing from the CDF. The smoke was really bad for a month most days You could only see maybe 15-20 yards away.

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

sh!t man, sorry to hear that. get all the sprinklers on the roof and water the hell out of the lawn. cut some trees down and hope for the best.
    hope all ends well bro.
    Grant

15. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

ya my mom lives in highland and she said shes surrounded with fire, only way out is East /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

16. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Man that bites. Anything we can do? Anybody up in that area that can do a drive by (if they will let them in the area and it's not dangerous) to check on your palce?

18. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'm not incredibly worried about it. I've already resigned myself to the fact that the house may or may not be there. glancing through the news at KTLA.com, I notice that there're several other area's that're more screwed than I, such as the city of san bernardino, and a good portion of northern sandiego county.

if the house is gone, then I'll get a nice insurance check for my belongings, and whatnot... if it's still there, then cool, I don't lose all my Totaly awesome stuff.

19. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    14 Dead, 650 Homes Burned As Wildfires Ravage Southland

[/ QUOTE ]

News headling on Drudge Report. My heart goes out to these people.

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Well, I was in Valencia over the weekend, one of the big fires is burning a ways off due west from there, and you could tell that it was a big one. It was probably a good 5+ miles away, probably farther, but I could see smoke rising on the horizon from NW all the way to SSW. It was one hell of a front with huge plumes of smoke rising. At 10:00 I was riding a roller coaster at Magic Mountain and at the top of the first rise I could see the entire western horizon was glowing orange. I hope that you and your Grandfather's homes are OK, but more importantly that the both of you stay safe. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif