Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

California

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 2High4U, Dec 28, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

:mad: I miss living in California I think that when i get my truck driving career on the road I will consider moving back out there..
    Lived in a little town of Upland damn it this sucks.
    I was so close to the beach and so close to the mountains
    now im where it snows and is cold again

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

A lot of people badmouth Ca., but the only thing that really sucks out here is the politics. Other than that, it has just about every climate, atmosphere, scenery, and culture that you can imagine. It is almost like they took a part of every state and plopped it down somewhere in Ca. During some of the year here, you can go up and ski for a few hours, then drive to the coast and go surfing for a few more. There are deserts, mountains, beaches, tropics, forests, and everything in between.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you forgot the stupid high cost of living
    that is what will probally drive me out for good
    no way i can afford to guy a house here

4. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

thats why i moved back to pa but id rather live in a trailer for 60 or 70 grand than get an apartment out there $1000 a month plus utilities.
    I was just looking on century21.com and found some trailers.
    as for culture that is why i like it so many different people all in one spot and all the geographic locations!

hey what are other places that i can look for houses other than century21

When i lived out the I started in corona then moved to upland both were fantastic places.

when i look at the weather compared to here i get pissed:angry1:
    and they have that corva offroad thingy out there!!

When i lived out there i drove to lancaster and saw the wildflowers that was cool and i also saw the huge redwoods that was even cooler

5. Desert Rat

It is all relative. You say the cost of housing is high in Sacto? Come to the SF bay area. People here go to Sacto to buy investment homes because they are so cheap.

6. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I like the southern part the only prob with looking for a place to live out there is I dont know where the chitty areas are..

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

too expensive for me
    when the average price of a house up here is north of 400K
    thats too expensive
    but i know what you are saying i have allot of relatives down south, and my grandma just left the bay area
    sold the house her and my grandpa bought for 140K for 500K

8. Desert Rat

Yep, it is ridiculous here. My parents bought there house for $40k. We bought our house for $350k. Both are worth over a million now.

9. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

you just happened to be in the right place at the right time... Wish It were me that way i would be sitting on a nice big investment.

10. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Theres flowers out here :confused: :D

I missed the weather and the scenery while I lived in Germany
    It is expesive to live here though.
    I concider it sun tax :D

11. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

yeah they have wildflowers out there i forget when i went to see them but it was cool. california poppy reserve is there.. they have a web site somewhere.

sun tax... they need to lower that tax a little:eek1:

12. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

whats up with all the 55+ communities it seems that they get a better deal on a place to live :confused: and STUPID GATED COMMUNITIES!!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  13. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Cost of living is too darn high for me. I'll never move out there to California.

I got a question for all of those in California. Because of the skyrocketing cost of living, has there been a dramatic increase in the number of apartment evictions and homeless people because the cost of their basic apartment rent got so high they were forced to choose between either buying food and getting evicted out onto the street, or paying the rent and then starving until their next paycheck?

14. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Crap, Colorado is getting there. Average nice house about 1,400 sq.ft. is around 200k...coming from San Antonio where 2 story 2,000 sq.ft. homes are 120k...that's a shock.

15. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Yep, her in this town I live in, real estate is going crazy. My house has gone up 40K appraised value in 2 years. I'm glad I bought when I did.
    When I lived in Sonoma County 10 years ago, I bought a house and did some work on it while I lived in it. 2 years later,I sold it for DOUBLE what I had into it. Problem was, that still wasn't enough to buy another house in the area!

16. Inu-Hanyou1776

I really fear for the people living in these areas where the rent for even the most basic aparment is getting to $1000 month. Pretty soon, we're going to have people who have good paying jobs in these areas being forced to choose between either paying the rent and going hungry or eating and then getting thrown out onto the street by their landlords.

EDIT- Let me change 'normal jobs' to 'good paying jobs'.

17. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Hey, there's towns here in Colorado where the police and firefighters have to live in subsidized housing. The reort towns are so pricey, that working folks can't afford to own a home there. People come into the resort towns and buy vacation homes for whatever they have to pay, and that drives up real estate prices for everyone.

18. Inu-Hanyou1776

How much of the year are those vacation homes empty? Do the owners allow anybody to rent them out during the times of the year they aren't there? I bet they don't.

19. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Some do....but I have question....If you bought a $1,000,000+ home....would you rent it out to people you didn't know...especially when you aren't there to watch? I wouldn't.

20. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If you can afford a 1+mil house as a second or third place you wouldn't NEED to rent it out unless you wanted to.

The place I bought here on the coast went for $359k. A year later the house next door (w/ one more bed & bath each + granny flat) went on the market for $525k, no idea what it sold for. Now 2.5 years later a place up the street went on at $749k