Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caliper grinders question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'll only have a Dana 44 (8 lug). I plan on 15X10 rims with 3.5" back spacing. (Steel rims). Will I need to do any grinding on the calipers ???

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I would say you still have to do a fair amount of grinding.
    -- Mike

3. Slayer-K5

Slayer-K5 Registered Member

Yes you will, but not very much. I just ground my calipers on my dana 44 for 15 x 10 eatons with 3.5" back spacing and ended up grinding more off the backing plates then the calipers. But in all i didn't have to remove much.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

In addition to this question...I'd like to ask something (sorry, not trying to hi-jack). When you grind the calipers, do you leave them completely mounted - brake hose and all? Do I have to worry about the heat messing up the brake hose or brake fluid...I would think not, but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

ditto, i had to "scuff" the caliper and spent more time on the backing plates as well, the freaky thing is that it only hits a little bit, but that little bit locks the tires right up. once i get my motor swap completed, in about 3 hours i hope, then i will be grinding the other side and putting the monster 38.5's on.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With 4 1/8 b.s. I had to shave a fair amount. These were 15x8. I thought it was only going to be the caliper that needed grinding, but the backing plate needed as much or more then the caliper on my 10 bolt.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I did next to no grinding on my calipers (removed the casting flash and maybe 1/32" on the outsied of the caliper where its strength isn't an issue anyway). I have Eatons with 3.5" of backspacing.

To get away from grinding on the backing plate I bent the ears down with a 12lb. sledge and then ground the inside of the caliper opening (because it had closed up some and the caliper would no longer fit) till the caliper fit snug but did not hang up. I did most of the work with a file on the calipers and the backing plate! That is how little I had to take off. One of my calipers had lost more meat from rusting (they were rebuilt and sand blasted so there was no rust on them but you could see how deep it had rusted)!