Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caliper grinding question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUB-ZERO, Nov 20, 2005.

1. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I just purchased a 86 Suburban 3/4 ton.The rear is a 14bsf the front is a 44.It has 16.5's which I gather is less than desirable.So I am trying to decide if I should go 15" or 16" rims.To run 15" rims do I have to grind the front calipers or is that just on a D60?

2. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

16's no problem. i have heard 15's no problem also. doing the 15" rim swap on the current project with 3-3/4" backspace 15" rims. the rear disc calipers are very close to the rim(1/8" or less) but don't rub. that's with new brake pads. i may do some clearance grinding if i get caught up. not sure on stock 3/4 ton fronts though :dunno:

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i have a 3/4 ton in front with 15x10 rims with 4" of backspacing and i needed to grind the calipers a little bit. wasnt too bad. if you get rims with less backspacing then you will either have no grinding or very very little.

4. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I hope they will clear the rear when I get discs back there.It has a 14bsf rear but I have a 14bff with 4:10 in the backyard I am thinkin about puttin in for the extra beef.Don't know if its worth the work for a little more beef 'cause the Burb has 3:73 so would have to change the front gears.I would like to go with 15's if its not gonna be too much trouble.

5. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

About how much is "a little"?

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i made the top of the caliper flat, instead of it having the little lip thing around the hole in the caliper, and the backing plates needed just a little to be safe, it did clear, i just wanted it to clear a little more.

7. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

1/8" on the top feathered out is "a little" dana 60 caliper grinding is more than a little :hack:

8. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

I run 15x8 on a SF14B and 10B front, no grinding at all with 2-3/4" backspacing.