Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caliper grinding question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Apr 13, 2002.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I am grinding the calipers on my dana 44 8 lug to fit 15" rims. It was suggested that I paint the calipers black and put the rim on and see where it hits my looking at the scuffed paint. Well I tried this and the caliper scratched the rim, but I couldn't see a mark on the caliper itself.

Any suggestions?

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Make sure it was the caliper that it hit and not the backing plate or something else. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T GRIND TO MUCH FROM THE CALIPER!!!!! Just grind enough to clear the wheel with a little clearance.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well I havent done any real grinding, just grinded off some casting marks to start with. I just couldn't tell where the rim is hitting the caliper or whatever it is hitting, except that the rim had some scratches. ???

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It'd make me nervis to gring on the calipers. I'd do the ol'chickens#*t thing and get some 16" rims.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You could put a line of gear marking compund or something like that on the inside of the wheel, and where it rubbed of on the caipler is where you need to grind.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well enough people have done it and even do it to Dana 60's, so i feel confident. Metal is damn thick to. The fit is close, so it's not like gringing half the metal off either.

Also you have so many tire choices in 15" wheels and 15's hold the beed better. Also, the main factor, is that my 35x12.50x15 swamper ssr's are like 90%+. New tires=more money than I have...lol /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't know if it's advicable, but you could use wheel spacers. I did that on a Monte carlo I had becouse the rim was grinding on the caliper.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I wrote an article on doing this a while back. I used (and recommend) gray primer. Dries fast, nice uniform dull gray, and the places that rub are easy to spot. Should also be able to do it with black paint though. If it's rubbing, it may only be a small area. Look closely. If you have a uniform coat, and the wheel rubs, it *will* mark the paint.

9. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Like Baddog said, look closely, it could just be a sliver that is grinding. And flat black worked best for me.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I painted the caliper/backing plate than held a piece of sand paper folded into quarters on the inside of the wheel and turned the wheel back and forth. You need a bit more clearance than not touching and this sand paper added just the right ammount...it also left some really good marks in the paint to tell me where to grind.

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I like the sandpaper idea, my new rims are the black rockcrawler's, and the finsih is almost soft compared to the metal calipers, so I was scratching the rims but not leaving much in the way of marks on the calipers.

12. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

work faster, have the paint be wet when you rotate the rims...

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well, I have started, I am using the cut-off tool as a grinder for now, and so far it is working ok, just slow and loud.

Anyone have any idea how much metal they actually took off? So far it seems like not much has to be taken off to fit, but I am not all the way on yet either. Is this a false sense of security? lol I have taken more off the backing plate than the caliper.

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Also, how much clearance is need for the final fit?