Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caliper grinding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLZN4FN, Jan 16, 2005.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok all of you that have a D60 do you regreat grinding the calipers?
    If you were to do it agine. would you do 15,16,16.5 wheels?

I have read alot on here on caliper grinding just kinda scared to cut into my calipers.

I need you .02 on this help set me at ease on this..

Thanks

2. Chaz Murray

Chaz Murray Newbie

i have had no problems what so ever with my calipers after grinding...used them for 2 years in the blazer as a daily driver and now the axles out of the blazer are in my comp buggy...i have never gave it a 2nd thought

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I regret the 2 and a half hours of my life i WILL NEVER GET BACK.:D

But it is nice to be able to run ANY wheels you want.

Advise......Get 15's with 2.5" of backspacing. The grinding is nothing compared to wheels with more.

Rob

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

15's will clear the calipers on 8 lug axles wether its a 10bolt, D44 front OR D60 with stock brakes, without grinding. 15's will also clear a 14 bolt with drums or disc. Its all in the backspacing.

I run 16's but will be goin 15's. Why? Wider selection of tires, somewhat cheaper..easier to find when you need one.

16.5" wheels have no safety bead and low pressure will easily unseat a bead.

5. evo

evo Registered Member

i dont regret grinding mine, havn't had any problems with them, there is still plenty of material there. just takes a while to grind.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't regret grinding mine at all and it's been 2 years and 15,000 miles since I did mine. The only problem I had was I have one oddball rim with .5" more backspacing than the other three. I had ground my calipers for the 3.5" BS rims up front, but when I got new swampers the oddball rim ended up on the front of the truck.

I took it for a test drive and it steered fine, didn't pull, didn't make any noise...but within 3 miles the bead area of the rim got red hot and the tire blew as I was pulling a U-turn. I got stung by a series of werid circumstances, but it does show that giving each tire a good spin by hand before letting the jack down is a good idea.

Anyways, braking performance has been fine and haven't had any other problems.

Rene