Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

caliper grinding

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Aug 3, 2001.

Ok, so what part of the calipers do I grind on for the 15" wheels to clear for the 3/4 setup? And how does this not severly weeken the structural integrity of the caliper?
    Thanks

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

You grind more of the backing plates that you do the calipers. But the calipers do require some good grinding. Best thing I could say is get one of your rims w/o the tire and try and put it on there, look from behind and you'll see where you need to grind. Keep doing that til you can tighten up the lugs w/o the rim hitting anything. Have fun :)

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Get some cheap paint...lightly spray the caliper and backing plate and try and fit the rim. You'll see right away where its hitting or rubbing. Spray a litle Pam on the inside of the rim if you don't want the paint to permantly stay on yer new rims...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. Alrighty. Sounds good.

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

4. RockBurb

RockBurb 1/2 ton status

Another thing that helps is to take some marking compound and rub it on the rim. Then spin it around and it will mark where the rim is still hitting. Good luck, and I hope you have lots of patience!

84 Burb with 35's and locked front and rear.