Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caliper grinding

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLZN4FN, Jan 3, 2003.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I want 15 inch rims on my corp 10 bolt 8 lug axle
    from what I have been told you need to grind a little off
    the caliper. But doesnt 1/2 ton and 3/4 tons have the same calipers? and if they do will the be enough metal left on the calipers to be safe??. I did read the build up on 15 inch wheels on a D60 but I dont have the money for a D60 yet
    but soon. If some one has pics on a 10 bolt caliper that has
    had some grinding done it would help.
    Thanks,
    Bo

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The rotor for the 8 lug axle is larger then the 1/2 ton, so therefore the backing plates also have to be a little bit bigger to accomadate the larger rotor. The caliper itself is the same. There is plenty of caliper left to be safe after you are done grinding. I am not worried about the calipers on my truck one bit. The grinding isn't really that much, but it is time consuming and a pain in the ass. I had to grind on both the backing plate and the caliper to get them to stop rubbing on the inside of my rims. The worst part was I had to take the tire on and off numerous times to check for rubbing. It took probably 8-12 times per side to get it just right on the grind. Every time I would clear an area enough another area would start to rub. Every time I took the rim on and off I would repaint the inside of the rim and also the area I would grind so I could see where the white paint from the inside of the rim was on the black caliper. Hope this helps. I don't have any pics though.

3. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Hoss,

Did you disc the rear?......If so, did this also require grinding?

TIA

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Nope, no disc's on the rear yet. I didn't have the cash to buy the brackets and other stuff at the time, so I just redid the bearings, and put new shoes on it. When these shoes wear out I am going to disc the rear.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, you'll have to grind the fronts. It's MUCH easier to do with just a rim so you don't have to wrestle the tire/rim assembly on and off each time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The rear fits fine without any grinding, even with discs. The rotor is offset more towards the differential on a 14-bolt FF so clearance isn't a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

When I did my dana 44 which is very similar I had to remove material off the caliper bracket but believe it or not I did not take any material off the calipers. The clearance is very close but they do not rub.

7. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm doing my rear disk and kept the rotor in the rim, I didn't like how most kits have them outside the rim and I'm running a 15"6 lug on it...

[​IMG]

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Some one said if you dont have new break pads you need to do more grinding... which way does the caliper move as the pad wears out..... do i do more grinding or less.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

they move out of the rim when worn, they are ford calipers w/e-brakes

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What did you do to keep the rotor inside the rim? Did you take material off the back of the mounting surface for the rotor? The rotor looks like it is still set back pretty far from the wheel mounting surface.

11. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Hey 74Chev,
    what backspacing are you running? that you
    didnt have to grind the calipers?
    thanks,
    Bo
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I haven't put the rim up yet, but i took 1/2" off the back side of the hub were the rotor bolts to it...

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I didn't grind the backing plate like everyone else does.
    I beat the ears down with a hammer (with the caliper removed) till they would clear the wheel.
    I then had to open up the area where the caliper rides so I could fit the caliper back in.
    The backing plate was left full thickness.

I also needed to do a bit of trimming to the calipers...mostly just getting rid of the casting flash. I have 3.5" backspacing on my black 15x10 eatons.

I did have to do a very little bit of grinding on the rear calipers...again just casting flash. I am using misfit's (Ecobit) brackets.