Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caliper hanging up and pulling to the right?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyfumes, May 12, 2002.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

If it's pulling to the right what side is sticking and whats the easiest way to fix it, do I have to take the caliper apart and tbleed the brakes after, because I'm just too damn lazy right now for that hehehehe?????

2. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Pulling to the right....right caliper is hangin. Remove the wheel, remove the caliper with lines still attached, WD40 the piston(s) and use a clamp w/ wood piece to get the caliper pistons to bottom out back inside the cylinder. Brakes...pistons back out...clamp, pistons back in....spray...in...out...spray...all better.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had to sand whatever crap was on the rotor off, and replace the pads, before my truck would stop pulling. It may not be your resolution, but pulling the tire off will tell you for sure. I assume mine was grease though, and the "bumps" created by the burnt on stuff would not allow good braking on the side that WASN'T pulling.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Hopefully its something simple. Could even be your old brake lines expanding under force. But even rear drums that arent hitting at the same time (or the same force) could have negative results.

Mine were just from the fact that I let one side wear all the way down to the rivets! I got two large groves, but.. oh well! I just tossed on new pads, The'll wear down over time. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Pulling to the right could ALSO mean that the left caliper piston is sticking and not engaging the disc. No breaking on left = pull to the right. One way to hceck is to get some needle-nose vise grips. Pinch off your left side line and drive down your street and try to stop. See if it pulls to the right (it should). Also see how well it stops. Then, pinch off the right side line and do the same thing. Whichever side DOESN'T pull is probably the culprit. That means that caliper is sticking and not engaging the disc. If both sides pull, but one doesn't seem to release as you let off the brake, it could be sticking and the caliper not RELEASING the disc.

Just a few things to try. But, if you are going to simply try and WD-40 the caliper piston, why not do both sides. I am sure it couldn't hurt. I plan to do mine this weekend.

6. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Hope it's an easy fix. Mine STILL pulls to the right after peplacing front and rear brakes (calipars, cylinders, drums, rotors, everything) new ball joints, alingment, and rotate the tires. I'm confused. Maybe all the roads around here really slope one direction /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

eep, if its still pulling after that... Acutally wait a second, mine pulls to the right!!! Sometimes it could be the slop of the tie rod ends (but you said you replaced those).... do you get better brake response if you hit the brake quickly, rather than pressing it slowly?