Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caliper painting?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Apr 28, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am getting ready to do my rear disk soon, and I want to paint my calipers. Anything special I need to mask or be careful of? I also saw some special paint for calipers and drums. Is this necessary? Thanks.

-Brian

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I always use regular high-temp engine paint and it always works fine. Make sure that any trace of brake fluid is gone or the paint will not stick. </font>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

VHT makes some good caliper paint, but you need an oven to bake it on. I think you'd need to remove the rubber parts from the caliper before that step. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If you aren't going to bake 'em, then I'd just tape off the line fitting area, dust boot, and piston and start painting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I've alway's used just "clear" to cover stuff like that, D60 inner axle's, caliper's, u-joint's, any of that stuff that does'nt get really seen, but still need's to be coated to help out in the rust dept. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

POR-15 works pretty good. Just don't get it on any sliding or mating surfaces.

6. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

i used por 15 and it started to peel on me, and these were refurbished, freshly sand blasted calipers that i treated with all the por 15 prep stuff.

7. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I always used krylon flat black spray paint. Bout 97 cents a can. Always works for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

VHT would work... if you dont have an oven its no biggie... i did my headers with VHT and I just left them in the sun on my driveway alllllll day long on a nice hot summer day. Worked great.

j