Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

caliper pins, how hard do you torque them??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Sep 25, 2004.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so i changed the pads, and if i remember correctly, i just torqued the caliper pins down as hard as i could with the 5 inches of leverage i had on the alan wrench, and one of the pins flew out as i was goin down the road, and the rest i think are loose. they're hard as hell to get in there, and is the little sleeve thing supposed to stick out of the caliper about 1/8 to 1/4 inch? should i use a cheater bar or something, any ideas on what i did wrong? thanks for the help...

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Try using the allen socket and a ratchet . I do mine all the time by greasing the smooth part of pin trying to avoid greasing the threads , centering the sleeves , slide in pins , then tighten until snug , then hitting the ratchet with my hand a few times to snug it more . They shouldn't come loose /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

thats what i do and they havent come loose yet. i also use the ratchet w/ allen socket

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I usually tap the allen wrench with a hammer a few times never had one come loose.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

With a torque wrench. About 80 ft/lbs, IIRC.

You can get an inexpensive 1/2" drive torque wrench (10-150 ft/lbs range) for like $25 at Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. I wouldn't build an engine with it, but it'll work fine for brakes, steering, lugnuts, etc.