Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Caliper - Wheel Clearance?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Beast388, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I just wanted get everyone's input on what is a safe clearance to have between your calipers and wheels. I ground one caliper last night and it appears that I have about 0.030-0.050" of daylight.

Is that enough?

Thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

That's about all I had. Actually... all I had was about the thickness of a piece of paper /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I sprayed some black paint on the caliper/backing plate, mounted the wheel (torqued it down good with 4 lug nuts), folded a piece of 120grit sand paper twice (4 layers), held it in the wheel, and rotated the wheel. The areas that rubbed the sandpaper bad I filed down some more (I did most of my "grinding" with a file).

It has rubbed a bit in the front...I think most of that was just mud trapped in between the wheel and caliper as well as differences in the wheels. I ground the using just one wheel...maybe you should pick the wheel with the worst clearace issuse and grind for that wheel.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

oughta be enough... keep in mind that someday when u get new rotors/pads etc you may need to grind more since the calipers will stick out more. When i set up my 60, i had new rotors/pads so its not a big deal... but for someone out there with need-to-be-replaced-soon rotors and just-a-lil clearance, it could be a problem.

j

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    keep in mind that someday when u get new rotors/pads etc you may need to grind more since the calipers will stick out more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, rotors and pads are brand spankin' new!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif