Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

calipers - deal of the year

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mccomas, Oct 26, 2003.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i am cleaning up my d60 getting it ready to install so i go down to my local napa store to get a rebuild kit for my calipers. just for gp i ask, "how much are a set of rebuilt calipers?" the guy behind the counter tells me that they are $31.00. i tell him that that sounds a little low and ask him to check again. he ask the parts manager and they say "yep, they're 31 bones each." so i decide that for only 31 bucks i might as well save myself some time and just pick up the entire caliper - i figure that i am going to get at least 25 bucks for my core calipers so 36 bucks for some one ton calipers seems like a pretty good deal. the guy rings it all up and than says that my core refund is $38.00 each. i tell him that that can't be right and that it must be $38 for the two. so he calls the parts manager back over and they both say "nope, that's 38 bones each." now i like to save a buck but these guys are kind of cracking me up so i spend a bit more time with them and explain that they are giving me a set of calipers for 62 bucks and than giving me 76 bucks back when i bring them my old calipers. it did not look like they were catching on so i break it down a bit further and try to make them understand that they are giving me $14.00 and a new set of rebuilds for my old cores. they both say "yep, that seems like a pretty good deal." so i installed the new set, took in the cores and collected my 61 bucks back plus the 14 in change and went to lunch. what can i say, i tried to straighten them out - i sure wish they sold engines...

[​IMG]

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Damn, you got one hell of a deal. Why can't the parts store guys here be morons also, would save me a lot of money on my rebuilds /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

thats freakin hilarious..kickass deal! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep,Thats what I paid for mine,Thought they would be a lot more than that......

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifso if you continued you could exchange the new set of another new set and collect another $14, and again, ....You could retire /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

something like that kindof happened to me when I was a kid. Wasnt car parts it was baseball cards. They messed up at Wallmart and were charging $5 for BOXES of upper deck cards. Those thing usually went for $5 a pack. I was happy. But man your lucky where did u go to get them? Id like to go down there and get me a set too.

nick

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

These guys must be "stoopid". Everybody knows the amount they tell you over the phone is WITH the core charge already deducted from the part. It must've been one hell of a surprise to find out that the amount they were telling you over the phone is without the core charge. I wish my local auto parts store were that stupid.

I had those calipers on my old 77. At Napa they were $31 + $36 core = $67. Since I had the core they were $31 + the sales tax on $67. So they were $35.02/each.

8. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I just got mine frokm napa here but they were 27 a side with a 27 core charge I had the old with me so I paid 27 a side I wxpected them to be more then that.

9. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Just for curiosity, what year and vehicle did you give? I'm thinking of going parts shopping /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Just for curiosity, what year and vehicle did you give? I'm thinking of going parts shopping /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif