Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Call centers in Foreign countries *Rant*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fordeater, Mar 29, 2005.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So, i have had this group of people calling me for a couple of weeks now. When i answer the phone a message says "WE have been trying to reach you for some time, this is not a sales call, please call us at blah blah". So, usually i ignore it, but today, i called back. Of course, i could barely understand who the hell they were cause she was of some other descent. Arabic, indian, i don't know. So, turns out that it was a debt from a year and a half ago, one that the people we owed the money to wrote off a long time ago. I tried over and over to explain that i had already talked to the people, and they said that it had been written off, and that we didn't owe the money. Well, this lady on the phone could not understand that. She kept telling me that i owed the money, and asked how i was going to take care of it. So, i got pissed and told her that i would report them to the federal trade commision because it was a violation of my rights under THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT. She said they would continue to call until i paid what i owed, or wrote them a letter disputing the charges. So, i told her i'm going to write them a letter saying do not contact me again, and that i don't owe this debt. When i asked for their address, she said just a minute and she would get it for me. She HUNG UP. Oh well, i got their address of the internet.

I think they tell these people that they will teach them english if they answer the phones, and they use these call services as programs for cheap labor. Ha, oh well, rant over. Just don't understand why they outsource to foreign countries

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

cheap labor is the American way of business these days. Was just a couple months ago someone posted that there are some McDonalds' in I believe washington where when you pull up to the Drive-Thru you are talking to an order taker somewhere in the Midwest cause the minimum wage in Washington is like 7.25. :surepal:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have some fun with them. Request a written breakdown of the debt and the back up documentation (applications, charge slips, invoices) regarding the debt. They have 30 days to respond, IIRC, under FDCPA. Then dispute it in writing.

4. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i tried requesting a bill from them. They told me that i had a bill, and i knew how much was owed, and wanted me to pay them over the phone. I told them there was no way in hell i'd pay them without having a bill anyways.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Try to do it in writing and get info from them in writing. Under FDCPA there are strict time limits regarding their response. Also get the name, first and last, of anyone that you talk to and write down the time/date that you spoke with them. They will probably leave you alone once you start asking those questions and remind them that they called before (when/who).

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Maybe it was a scam. Maybe they came across records of an old debt collection attempt.

Unless, I guess they're legit if you said you found them on the net...

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

These are the days you wish you had a spot on Ghandi accent.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its fun when a solicitor calls, try to sell them something. my sister mysteriously has a school fundraiser everytime i get one of them on the phone. :D