Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Call me Crazy should i switch

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by doctor4x4, Dec 26, 2002.

1. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

just got a 1984 Diesel Burd with the Banks turbo set up did they come like this from the factory in 1984 ??
    and what ya all think about me pulling out this monster and selling how much ya think i should ask if i do ??
    and put in a good strong 350
    I plan on using this as a ski and long range trip Burb so lots of hills and COLD weather is my major concern as they are Tuff to start as is
    and what is this i see and have heard about it being ok to mix 20% gas with my diesel to get it to start easyer in cold weather is this safe ???
    Thanks for any help

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

ill trade ya a rebuildable 350 for it , and an sm465 and a 205 and a set of half ton axles a 10 and 12 bolt . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks Andy i am still waiting on that beat up 350-205 you promised me :-) heheheeh LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    so i gues that means you think i should keep it eh ?? the diesel i mean

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My opinion is to keep it. Long range means you'll have a much more economical truck with the 6.2, the turbo should really help in the higher altitudes and make plenty of power.

Starting issues seem to be related to poor glow plug operation from what I've gathered. There are many more qualified people here that will comment on "Hard starting" being common or something that can be avoided with better parts and good maintenance.

I'd run it for a while at least...you can always swap later once you've had a chance to honestly evaluate how well it works for you.

Rene

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1. Congrads on your new purchase

2. No, engines in 1984 did not come factory with Banks Turbos. What size is the engine?

3. Why pull it out? Use it and see how it works for you. If you don't like it find another burb and sell that one to me!!

4. Cold weather is not a problem. Make sure your glow plugs are up and working properly and you should have no problems starting. I was starting on 4 glow plugs until I replaced the glow plug light bulb and it didn't fix it. The passenger side was lighting up but the driver side was not. Now it starts like a champ.

5. Don't mix gas with your Diesel fuel. Run Stanadyne fuel additive. Lubes the pump, makes starting easier, gives you better fuel mileage, and if you get bored you can sniff some and pass out. I had a container of it spill inside my rig. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It smells really bad and powerwashing was the only way to get it out!! Better than running gas in your DIESEL engine.

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

cool thanks Guys i was kinda leaning toward that but SK your advice really helps me i.m gonna give it a chance this time i have had 2 outher diesel trucks and kinda liked em but at 10.00 a glow plug + 120.00 for a temp controler i said by by to em pertty quick but this 1 i am all ready looking for a ranger gear box for it for the over drive on the long hauls and for going up the grape vine
    or any outher ideas on that ??
    I know there are 2 different kinds -grades of diesel i live here were it is warm so they only sell that type not the type for high altitudes and cold will that staydne additive fix that also ?/

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

If you're concerned over fuel "Jelling" go to a truck stop (or good parts store) and find some Diesel Fuel additive for cold weather (ie:Stanadyne). IIRC the stanadyne manufacturer recommends cutting non-winterized diesel (No #2) with Kerosene (No #1) to keep it from clouding/jelling. Bosch pumps (on VW/BMW/Mercedes) recommend cutting with low octane gas.

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Consider $10 a glow plug ONCE or
    removing heads to dig out mushroomed glow plugs and replacing glow plugs MULTIPLE times. Actually you would spend the money toward the good glow plugs so you wouldn't have to do it all again!!

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I wouldn't use any kind of gasoline if I were you.
    Diesel engines work on detonation, gasoline resists detonation, just use Stanadine fuel additives. They have one for winter and one for summer.
    I use them all the time, and I go on snow wheeling trips all the time with it with no problem.
    Last year I was on a snow trip, we got held by someone stuck for 8 hours burried in the snow, and it started right up when I finally got to move.
    Just make sure you have 2 good batteries, I use the Optima but any high crankig battery would be good and have 2 of the same age.
    I would say keep it, but if you decide you don't want to, put me on the list for takers, I have 2 diesel trucks and a third awaiting an engine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif