Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Callin' on the help of CK5'ers with internet prowess

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big94gmc, Apr 1, 2006.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Long story short, I'm needing some hard statistics to write a Causal/Analysis research paper for English. The paper's subject: national average of fuel prices from 2001 to 2006. This paper will incorporate a graph as part of it's body, and I'm leaning towards creating a pie graph for mine. It will be about WHY I believe/I think the cause of the difference is (war, weather destroying offshore drills, general public's demand....whatever is concrete and makes sense). This IS NOT mainly about the price of crude oil barrels, this is about the price we pay at the pump (although I can't help but think the price per barrel may have something to do with it). Prof. asked for gas prices, but, me being the grease monkey I am, asked if I could write about diesel. He said that'd be great. Then, because I don't feel challenged enough, I decided I'm going to do a side-by-side-comparison/Causal of unleaded fuel to diesel fuel. Thus, I'll be needed two graphs to illustrate the comparison/reason.

Prof.'s exact words were, "Don't just Google it and present me with 'loose' information. Use journal and magazine articles....". (I clued in when he said magazines, but I don't think Petersen's will make the cut! LoL!!) Magazines like Time, Washington Post, Newsweek, and so forth are what he's refering.

My problem: I'm searching around on Time, and Newsweek, and I'm coming up emptier than a Frenchman's rifle.

Can ya'll fellow CK5'ers with internet prowess, and a knack for locating the obscure, help me to gather information?? No, I'm not asking anyone to write the damn thing, just help gather the info/point me in the right direction. By next Wednesday, I need to show my paper's outline, and the graphs that I'll be using.

This should be fun.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

:bow: :bow: :bow:

More more more!!

LoL Thanks. I'm surfing around there right now.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

That last one doesn't do much for previous years' averages. :(

6. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Maybe CIA World Fact Book?

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A pie chart won't show how the price has changed in reference to time. I would use a line chart to give the reader a better understanding of the price changes.

For extra points, show a second chart that has the prices adjusted for inflation over the same time period. :cool1:

9. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Yea, I know a pie chart wouldn't express the information appropriately.... But I like pie, and the word is fun to say.:D

Can anyone suggest any other links to look?? 'Preciate it.

10. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

ttt

Thanks to the link from dontoe, I have enough statistical information to make a graph (the 'effect'), now I need to locate 'causes', and am still having the same problems as before....

11. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I have a spread sheet of prices Ive paid over the last year. I can send a copy to you if you would like to check it out.

12. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I appreciate the offer, jays, but I don't think that will be of any help. I have the data I need from the Energy Information Administration (great shiat) that encompasses the last five years. I've created the graph on the computer already, so now comes the hard part....identifying (what I believe to be) the main cause for what the graph shows. This is what I have....

(edited for updated graph)

Chart for Causal Paper.jpg

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The answer to that is extremely simple.
    More Cars use more gas. There is a finite amount of gas that can be produced. The laws of supply and demand dictate that when demand goes up and supplys are low the price goes up.
    Oil is a commodity that is auctioned off to the highest bidder. When supplys are low The price will always go up because commodity traders will out bid each other to get their needed oil supply. Then the cost is just passed on to the consumer.
    The wolrd's oil supplies are dwindling. It costs more to get the oil out of the ground. Automobile use is exploding around the globe. Demand has gone thru the roof. So we all have to look forward to higher and higher gas prices. Aint nothing you or anyone can do about it. We are competing with the rest of the world for a commodity we pretty much used to control the market on.

14. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I'm bringing this back up to the top, in the hopes someone can help point me in the right direction....

Thunder, what you said makes sense, but I need notable sources to site for information, plus I need it centered around causal reasons for diesel fuel specifically.

:o

So, I'm TTT'ing this with a new request for those with internet prowess: I've found a half dozen or so good articles pertaining to a causal analysis of the rise in gasoline prices, and, although some of those same reasons may apply to diesel, I'm not finding specific diesel information. I'm also hoping to come across reasoning for why diesel is now more expensive then unleaded - that would help out a ton. Thanks, gentleman.....:wink1: