Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all 4 wheel disc Brakers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by makovai, Mar 27, 2007.

?

What are you using for an e-brake?

1. e-brake calipers..... IE eldorado

24 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. transfer case brake

15 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. line lock

18 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. no e-brake at all.

70 vote(s)
    55.1%
  1. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

What are you using for an e-brake? I thougt it would be no biggy to go without, but my driveway is slanted and i dont want all that pressure on my parking pawl. The eldroado brakes just dont cut it for me. The transfer case brake is too expensive. How bout a line lock?

What are you guys using and why?

2. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Why don't the caddy e-brakes cut it for you? You just have to set it everytime you park to make sure they stay adjusted.

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I use the big Seville calipers from TSM brakes with their brackets. Nice stuff. The e-brake cables require a bit of rework but will work with stock cables, at least for an '87 K5.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

line lock on the buggy just cause of cost and ease of installation. the suburban will probably get the caddys before I'm done with it.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

It's a PARKING brake, not an emergency brake ;)

-- A

6. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Black Widow Performance all the way!

Hey Makovai,

With all my heart, I would only recommend one option: BLACK WIDOW PERFORMACE E-Brake Kit #3. Here's why:

Black Widow Performance

NUMBER #1 Reason: Shane Cavilee

Shane has been around for some time and I have not met many of his caliber. He is truly dedicated to the off-road community. It's not about the dollar for him. It's about you! When he makes BWP gear every bit of heart and pride goes into it. He makes it for you. He is always there with technical support and wants each and every customer satisfied. He does what it takes to overcome even the slightest concern that comes up. He is straight forward and committed to your success.

NUMBER #2 Reason: Quality of Parts

BWP parts are excellently machined and have a great track record of fitting properly. They are top rate parts and you can see the heart in reason 1 inside the craftsmanship. The calipers come equipped with the lever's which is a plus! The stainless steel brake lines are excellent. They are finished nicely, rated at 10,000 PSI, are the proper lengths and DOT approved. The brackets are well machined and the spacer is a solid plate, not 4 cylinders like other manufacturer's kits. This equates to a solid platform and anchor point. The instructions are very good. Very clear. When I got my kit, I went through them and discussed a few things with Shane. He is working to improve an already good set. I like the fact that you can bring constructive ideas and he listens.

NUMBER #3 Reason: Easy Payment/Shipping. Invoiced through Pay-Pal or he will work to take payments that fit you. Shipping is through FedEx ground so you'll get your goods quickly. Everything is packed to prevent damage in shipping.

NUMBER #4: TECH SUPPORT: Shane goes through everything thoroughly to tell you HOW to set up your e-brake calipers. There is a specific method that must be followed to insure success. Shane directs you step by step. He has stated to me that he has had very few issues with the brakes not holding solid. Those that came up, he was able to address. The key with e-brake calipers is that you MUST set them before you bleed tightly, and once bled and working, you MUST use them constantly to maintain the adjustments.

I want you to know I do not work for Shane. I have worked closely with him to understand his product so I get the most out of it. I'm the type of guy that researches a product to the hilt before I plunk my cash down. I believe in buying quality stuff. Price isn't the deciding factor with me. It's what lies behind the purchase in support that drives me. Shane and BWP have been so good to me that I don't hesitate to refer him or his products. I stand by my assessment that BWP kits are by far the best out there on the market. You won't be disappointed. The choice is yours Mak. I hope I've helped given you some insight. If you can hold on a lil, I will be installing his lines, hooking up the e-brakes and bleeding in about a week or so. I will do the write up in the same fashion as all the others. It may help you.

Thanks again for your support. I really dig your truck. It's so clean. Iroks fit right at home.

Take care,

Manny

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

the only reason im going to run parking brake is because it will fail safety inspection if i dont:mad:

8. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I used the stock parking brake with the kit that comes from TSM. It works pretty well.

I actually started out with the black widow kit, but one of the mounting holes in one bracket was not drilled quite right so one of the calipers won't fit on it. I tried calling/emailing them back but never got a response. So I have the BW discs with the TSM hardware.

Anyone want to buy the old brackets and hardware for a 12b rear end? You'de just need one new bracket for a 79-85 eldorado. I'll sell it cheap. Maybe BW will exchange it for a good one. The BW guys are nice and this is no knock against them, I think they were just super busy and forgot and I didn't care enough to complain any more.

9. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have a line lock and it works well. I wouldn't depend on it to hold long term because they eventually bleed pressure.

I have left it on overnight and it was still holding :D

10. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I second Manny's post. That was really good, dude! I have the BWP ebrake disc kit for my 14BFF also... not yet installed though.

I would suggest you go with the eldo parking brake since that truck is still street driven.. I admit I don't even know how to set or adjust my parking brake cable either.
    But once you own a trail only rig then you can choose the line lock or transfer case brake. Just my .02

11. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use a piece of 6x6x12" wooden post, seems to work for me. You could drill a hole in one end put a rope through it and have parking brake all the time.

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Wow! This is not good at all!:doah: For the lack of follow through, I sincerely apologize. We did have an issue with a run of 1/2 ton brackets a long awhile ago, but I thought we got everybody taken care of. I guess not :doah: :doah: :doah: PM me exactly what you have and I'll get you a new bracket or whatever you need to have a working set to do whatever you want with ASAP!

13. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a parking brake only has to hold you in place, not stop the truck. I think the eldo calipers would be fine. you have to use them for them to work. same goes for most factory E-brake setups.

they will even function as an emergency brake. it will just take you a lot longet to stop. overkill would be a set of Eldo calipers and a driveline brake on the back of the t-case.

I'm one of the guys who voted for NOTHING. mine is trail only with an auto. if I need to park it on a big slope I wedge it against a tree or rock and put it in park.

I have wheeled with a guy who has 44's and no rear brakes.:eek1: only a pinion brake on the t-case. I have never seen his truck roll away.

A rubber wheel chock is really cheap compared to the other options.

14. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Thanks. I guess replacing the bad one would be best so I can sell the brackets. (which are very nice BTW!) It's not a big deal for me since I goofed up when ordering them so there was a few back and forth shipments to correct it and I know that was annoying for you guys. I'll PM you later.
    Thanks!

15. greyhoundjc

greyhoundjc 1/2 ton status

I'm using the caddy calipers. They could probably be adjusted to hold a little better, but I never have regreted spending the extra jack over the non e-brake calipers.

16. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

wow! this is weird on the eldy brakes. Last time i was reading posts about them everyone complained that they were hard to adjust and needed rebuilding about once a year.
    Manny you got my eyes opened. Maybe i will call BW and see what they cost. I just need the calipers as i have levers, lines, and everything else. I actually have 2 sets of 77 seville calipers here. They are identical to the eldy brakes ecept they have a little long piston in them. Sold one set on ebay last weekend, But i may hang onto the other set until i get this figured out.

17. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

i havnt had a parking brake in like 4 years...still stays parked like a champ...but if i was going to put one on, id go with the caddy calipers bause of the cost and ease of parts.... just my .02 cents

18. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I use a mechanical line lock. As far as bleeding off, I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I have been using the mechanical type for years and have never had one loose pressure. My truck has been parked with mine on since Aug 06 when I left. I had my partner go fire the truck up and try and move it last week and he called me because it wouldn't move. Said the rear brakes were locked up. I had to tell him how to turn the line lock off in order to move it. So if they will hold for 7 months, that's long enough for me.

19. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I use dual manual line locks (1 front 1 rear). They are the cheap ones ($35 ea.) but I only use them in off camber situations or in a parking lot (theft deterent if you don't know what it is). There have been a few times when the only tire getting any real grip is on the front. I don't use them as a long term parking brake though. I have not had them lose pressure, but I don't want to start relying on them to do something they are not designed to do.

20. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

X2.

I bought a parking stall stop made from grounded up tires.