Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all 4x4 guru's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rockymtnman, Mar 4, 2004.

1. rockymtnman

rockymtnman Newbie

Calling all 4x4 guru\'s

OK, Here’s the deal, what do I want for my 78 Scottsdale set up wise? I realize that is a wide open question, with opinions being various and plentiful, but let me elaborate. Do I stay with my, I think Dana 44 front and 14 bolt rear axels or do I want to upgrade to Dana 60’s, or something else? What about a locker, with my manual hubs, should I even consider it up front, and do I want one in back? Next, what is the best transfer case to be using? Do I stay with my NP205, or go with an NP241c or even a Borg-Warner? Finally, how about tranny’s. My rig has a TH350 right now. Should I go with that, or a TH400, TH700, or ? I am stuck using an auto do to a lame left leg, so manual is out. I am currently running a 350 bored 40 over, with a 300 hp cam, but am thinking about building a 400, any thoughts? I know a lot of this depends on what I want to do with my ride, i.e. rock-crawling, mud-bogging etc, but let’s just say it’s a daily driver, I live in the mountains in Colorado, and wish to be able to handle anything and everything I may get into, and may be thrown at me, which has been enough rock-crawling and mud-bogging that I feel the need to do this. I am also on a fairly tight budget, but the wife is sick of being stuck, so can swing a few things OK! Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have, oh and one more thing, any thoughts on tires? I was thinking on an AT in the 33 to 35 range. Thanks again.

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: Calling all 4x4 guru\'s

Good question....if price is a factor,i would start with the motor you have,use your existing transfer case(if it seems ok).Next,get rid of a d 44 up front,and go find yourself a decent 60.I would run a 14 in the rear.For lockers,go detroit in the rear,and leave the 60 stock for now(if price is an issue)i would go with a 4 lift on your springs(dont think any driveline mods are necesarry with a 4,might be,)to get the truck up there a little.From there,i would think you could fit a 35 inch radial/mud snow tire to fit your needs(plenty out there to choose from)...you might want to get a hydrallic assist for your steering(around 250)to help the tires along.....You can and probobly will have to re-gear your axles to suit your bigger tires.You can do that when you have your detroit installed.That is all i can think of right now,for a basic recipie.There ya go....Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you don't mind cutting the fenders to fit bigger tires I would go with a 2.5" lift. If you don't want to cut as much (and getting in and out isn't a problem) go with a 4". 35's will need a bit of trimming and 33's will need none (in most cases). Either way I would go with Tough Country springs up front and a shackle flip out back. Both from Off Road Design (ORD). If money is tite blocks in the back wouldn't be too bad. You should also get extended brake lines and steering correction (esp with a 4" lift) but both can be worked around till later if money is tite. If there is some extra money around sway-bar disconnects would also be a good idea.

I would keep the front axle stock and put a detroit in the back. D60's are alot of money and as long as you don't lock up the front and keep 35" or smaller tires on it things will go good. If you lock it it will die. You should replace the u-joints in the front with the new spicer fordged ones because I am sure you still have factory u-joints in there. Depending on what gears you have stock you might have to put in some new gears. 3.73 for 33's or 4.10 for 35's are about right. You could go lower if you don't care about hwy mileage or top speed.

For tires I would go with the new Interco truxes mud tires. Not many people have used them yet but I like the tires that Interco (they are the ones that make the Super Swampers I have) makes and they are cheeper than most other name brand tires.

Again this is just what I would do...I'm sure you will get a different answer from everyone.

4. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

I would say that a D44/14b would be fine with 33to35 at's.I run that combo with 4.10's and a jasper350 mostly stock and I have plenty of power.Other than me sticking my foot in the carb. besides using my head i've had no probems strength wise. I also think a th 350 will hold up fine for you I'had good luck with then in the past.Besides no sence spending money on a th400 if you don't need it.I'd throw a shift kit and good cooler on the th350 and call it good.
    As far as the 205 keep the chances of a problem with that bad boy I'd say are slim to none.If you want to go to go with a locker in the front too maybe something like a lock-rite that would give you the best bang for the buck.With your manual hub you will never notice it with them unlock for daily driving and such. I don't know first hand but I hear that a front locker is a no no on icey roads come winter time. The front will want to push not stear in 4x4 do to the locker.As for your motor choice I depends on what type of proformace and money you want to spend.For me I dream almost nightly of a 502 big block. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

The only other thing I'd say is that it's hard to beat a good winch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

No matter how will something is built there is alway the "I can make it" That 9 out 10 time leave you on the wrong end of a tow stap. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All I can tell you is don't go for the Dana 60 until you're sure you want to spend serious cash.

It's amazing how much I've got invested in mine, and I'm not even done yet. Still need forged joints, locker, and to get the hydro ram and hoses (have the box).

6. rockymtnman

rockymtnman Newbie

Thanks alot guys, some very good info. I think the truck already has some lift to it, theres 31's on there now, and with out a nerf bar to step on, it seems pretty step (Bum leg) The nine year old has to crawl on her belly to get in. How can I tell if there is a lift, and how much of one in it?

7. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Are the front springs arched down or flat? Is there blocks in the rear spring pak?
    Here's my rig when it was stock no lift 30's on it
    [​IMG]
    Bill

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

There was a post a LONG TIME AGO by Stephen Watson about measuring lift height. The search function isn't working right now so I guess you would have to wate for it to be fixed to find it.