Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all computer geeks........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Desert Rat, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, here is the situation. For some reason my computer at home has started doing something interesting. When you go to boot it up, the screen will only flash the desktop on for a split second then it blacks out. It will do this about every 2 seconds. You catch a glimpse of the screen, then black. The power light also goes on with the screen flash, then off. Now, my suspicions are that the monitor is crapping out. But, I figured it could also be the graphics card. The computer is only a year old and a top of the line HP multimedia machine. I will swap in another monitor when I get home today. If that monitor works, then it is new monitor time. I will of course be forced to upgrade. If the same thing happens with the other monitor, what say ye?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I had a monitor doing that here at work. Except not that the extreme that yours was... I could use it for a few hours, then it would click off. Light and all. Couldn't get it to turn back on. Would have to unplug it for a while before it would come on... My first thought was also a graphics card. But swapped the monitor and it has been fine...

:thumb:

3. Desert Rat

I'm figuring monitor, which will be cheaper to replace than a good graphics card. I was kind of hoping it was the graphics card though since it would be a good excuse to upgrade. I have a 256 card, but it is the bottom of the line 256 with no fan and it overheats.

4. Emmettology 101

Since yours is acting a little different than mine, maybe you'll get "lucky" and have to change the card. :D

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like either a dead video card, or a dead power supply.

6. Desert Rat

Dead power supply on the monitor or the computer? When the monitor flashes, you can see the CPU boot up, go through the different screens during startup, and then the desktop though. No flashing of the power light on the CPU.

7. CustomChevy

I see ... didnt get that from the first post.

If you can see the computer boot while the monitor is flashing through, then there is probably nothing wrong in your computer at all, and your monitor needs to be replaced.

8. Emmettology 101

If your comp is only about a year old, dont HP's comp with a 1 year warranty?

9. Desert Rat

Probably, but I suspect that it is over the 1 year mark. You know how it is with computer equipment too. We have various brand monitors at work that have been running for years and years, and others that crap out after a year. I may be just the unlucky one who got a lemon. Of course it doesn't help that the missus constantly forgets to log off and leaves the monitor on all day when she goes to work. Between that and my penchant for CK5 and computer games, the strain may have offed the poor device.....

10. Emmettology 101

May be worth the call if they will send ya one out. Their on-line chat with customer support seems to work pretty well if you have another comp or monitor to use.... They seem like a stand up company and have always helped me in the past. Never had a warranty issue though...

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, I'm not real set to nail this one down, but here's something that happened to me just last week.

Turn computer on, absolutely nothing on the monitor. Me figuring it was the monitor, I grabbed the wife's monitor and it was coming on. So with her's still hooked up, I got thinking maybe graphics card. I've got a Radeon 9250 hooked up and even though it's been trouble free for the most part, I have had some problems in the past. So I hooked the monitor back to the onboard video card and sure enough, everything was back to normal, so I hooked my monitor back up.

Then I went into the graphics card (the Radeon), wiped the drivers for it off the face of the map, loaded the drivers back and everything returned to normal.

12. Desert Rat

I also have a Radeon that came with it. I'll check on the model but I'm thinking 5500 or 6500. Funny thing is, it has run fine for a long time. The only glitch I've had is with games that are death on many cards like Far Cry. I think I overheated it a lot with Far Cry and it would crash periodically. I also kept the latest ATI drivers in it as they keep modifying their drivers to handle the more robust games. I will try a few things when I get home today and see what happens. It would be a real drag if I had to buy a top of the line graphics card and jump up from a 17" monitor to a 20" or so wouldn't it...............;)

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It's just one of those things I guess. The first couple of times I had problems with the card, I was playing games a lot. I started taking a break a few months ago and haven't played much and it still crashed. If I was to make a call, I'd say that my graphics card has female organs.....................

14. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

thats your problem. 80% of vid card failures are from heat. Suge damage 10% and the last 10 is for manufact defects. But I'm guessing the heat killed your card or the ATI drivers f'd you system like they do for soo many.

15. bigfancyname

bigfancyname Registered Member

Ive only ran 1 ATI (X800) it lasted all of one week. Came home wiggled the mouse to use the comp and when the screen came back lines all thru it. Sent it back and got a Nvidia 7900GT:D. Neverhad a screen flicker like that but if I had to guess I would say monitor.

16. Desert Rat

Well, I hooked up another monitor and it worked fine. So, I downloaded the latest ATI drivers, installed them, and am running System Mechanic to make sure everything is kosher. Then I will plug the other monitor back in and see what happens. If it is still down, new 20" monitor here I come. And I agree on NVidia. Up until this new computer that is all I ran and never had a glitch.

17. Desert Rat

Ok, opened up the case and checked all the fans. All are working except the one on the graphics card. So, I pull the card and get all the dust out of the fan on top of the card. I put it back in and now the fan turns, but not very fast. I forget to check if it is PCI Express or AGP and off to the store I go. After getting there, I realize that I'm not sure which one it is. But, I'm there and my DVD in the computer crapped a while ago so I get a new HP Multi-DVD Writer with LightScribe and Double Layer. I mean, no sense wasting the trip...... I'll have to replace the graphics card it looks like. I can get the machine to boot and it still does the quick flash for about 10 minutes but eventually it works. If you put any burden on the card, like playing Civ 4 though, it crashed immediately.

18. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

19. Desert Rat

It is removable so I may be able to get a new one. But, I am going to swap in an 512 nVidia card in mine. Then if I can get a new fan, I'll throw the Radeon in one of my kids computers. Besides, the store that may have the fan is a bit of a drive and I am impatient. I can get a new card from Best Buy a bit later when the commute dies down.....

20. CustomChevy

ehhhhhh .... if you've already crashed it from heat a bunch of times, chances are the damage is already done. might still work, but it will never be like new again.

kinda the same idea as rebuilding the top end of a motor if the block is chopped to ****.