Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all EFI Gurus

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    OK this is a weird one. I want EFI and am limited because I have vortec heads (and I dont want to redrill them) I'm not too crazy about the adapter plates for throttle body to 4 barrel. Here is my idea..... I can get a vortec intake setup pretty cheap (sequential multiport whatever) anyway it has 8 injectors. I have a late 80's Vette TPI somewhere that I cant use on this truck now. Why cant I use the TPI comp, sensors, harness, and splice in the Vortec injectors (still 8) on the new intake? I cannot get the vortec harness or comp easily (nor want to deal with OBDII). I'm pretty much guessing it cany be done but I dont know enough about EFI yet to know why it wont.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I won't say it won't work... but it is gonna be a huge pain in the bungholio! Heck just for 8 injectors from GM (I hope to heck you don't expect to get ones from a salvage yard...) is going to be 800 bills... you can get the Edelbrock port/multi- whatever it is kit for about a grand. The other objective is to run a Vortech edel intake that is custom drilled for the injectors and get a custom chip made... on top probably run a 454 TBI unit or a bore out stock TBI w/ no injectors on it. You could call edelbrock on it... one guy I knew racing had nitrious nozels put in by edelbrock before they shipped it... I had mine done by a race shop my buddy owns... Good Luck

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I think there was a post in here a couple days ago and someone said that Edelbrock was going to make an intake for a TBI with vortec heads.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails[​IMG]</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Well Luke, you said you got a TPI kicking around. You're in the best position to see if it would work. I don't have much hands-on with the Vortec (didn't know Chevy had a multiport manifold for the Vortec) but if the injectors fit (assuming they're still standard saturation style) I can't see what would be a BIG problem doing the swap. Nothing much harder than putting TPI in a truck never designed for FI. Yes, I play with spark ignitions once in awhile - '86 Vette TPI, Z51, 4+3.

Yes injectors are pricey, but who the hell buys them from the dealer. Go aftermarket, I'm running 28lb F#rd SVO injectors on the Vette. I think the Captn alittle gun shy. 'Got that Master Cert yet Capt'n, registration deadline this month ya' know! LOL

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

The best thing to do would be to get a single-plane vortec intake manifold and have it drilled for injextor "bungs" and mount rails on it. The second best would be to get a 4bbl vortec intake and adapt a TBI unit to it. A close third would be to wait until the aftermarket comes out with it's TPI base or TBI intake for the vortec heads. I would skip using the vortec intake system with the TPI computer. That is nearly uncharted territory, and unless you are the hacker type, I wouldn't attempt it.

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>

6. CaptCrunch

Well... for your info no... Not certified in trannys, but don't care because after 5 yrs I'm back in school to finish my engineering degree. Gunshy no... Just anything w/ EFI computers can be tricky... and doing custom systems such as what is being described here is a ton of work... Not to mention if you haven't played the exact game they are talking you need to shut the yap... Not "well uh it should work" so the guy tries and a day later his trucks is running like crap and/or he finds to make it all work will cost $3,000! The very least a custom chip is going to be needed because the whole dynamics of the sytem are changed. Talk w/ a good TPI shop that has some experience... Most computers are set up for exact perameters such as incoming air velocity, exact time it takes fuel to hit the cylinder (both would change dramatically w/ Vortech intake... not to mention the TPS's are gonna be different!). If you went to GM Asep you'd have a lot better understanding of this DD. Ever done a custom CPU setup??? I know I have done one and I have read of Squash's experience... yes Ford SVO is a brand... as is AC delco... they make injectors for others stuff so that's hardly custom. So quit jumping on people because you think you are some genius! [​IMG] Yes you work on army vehicles I assume, but this is a world away from that. We try to keep this a bit less critcal and on a friendly note... Sorry if I'm mistaken, but in your message you come off as a wise@ss... let's keep it nice and clean.

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Just pokin' fun, Capt'n. Didn't want to get you dander up. Ya, it "should" need a new prom, but I've known guys to swap in a TPI setup (on a J##p) still running an IROC Memcal, go figure. I personally run the Haltech unit (on the vette), and I'm STILL fine tuning it. Genius, HELL NO, I learn something new everyday (and I've got my Master). Luke would probably be better off to install the TPI engine first, then get real experimental with the Vortec heads, after its sorted out.

And your right the green stuff IS a world away. Half of the stuff I work on is probably older than you, and the other half the Army hasn't figured out (DDEC) yet. LOL!

9. CaptCrunch

It's cool... I'm just sick of people giving me the same flack just because I'm only 23. And yes I'm feed up w/ the green situation. Just bought a new KV from Snap-on and a month or so it was my twice year update for the scanner at the cost of 500 bones. Sick of 1/3 of my check heading into the Mac guy or Snap-on's hand to keep up with all this bull computized crap. Not getting any better w/ auto's future plans.. at least the stuff that is older then me is decently straight foreward [​IMG]. But back to the question... I think the whole deal here is saving cash... cheap,good heads w/ tpi... others go fork over the cash for some nice AFR's[​IMG]. Mismatching system components ig going to be nothing but trouble...but anyone who wants to try let me know how it goes... hope you have another vehicle to drive while you figure it out. Sean has some good guys to try... Call and ask around because Vortech heads are getting around fast.

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Ha Ha, I was refering to green as in Truck, Utility 1.25 Ton (standard Army fare) on up. But I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. In a previous life I worked for/on H@nda Motor Car, until I got fed up with the flate rate grind. Now Uncle Sam (DoD) lost it's EPA exemption for vehicle emission...that spells trouble.

11. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

All this conflict is rather intresting..... Well anyway I think you guys are a little confused on what I proposed. As much as I'd like to put TPI on my truck at this time that is not an option. I would like to get EFI (without adapter plates etc)somehow. The Vortec intake seemed like a viable base. I truely didnt think it would work(and am not stupid enough to go swappin parts without knowing exaclty what I'm doing) I have been been wrenching for all of my life, and am a competant fabricator and machinist. I am not going to toss my hard earned cash away to some "expert" when for a little time invested and maybe some equipment I can do it myself. This is a low buck project, If I wanted it done tommorow I would go aftermarket but that just would not be any fun now would it? Peace Out.....

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, I'm almost positive someone makes and sells an adaptor plate to bolt a TBI onto a 4bbl intake. SO, you could get the Edelbrock Performer intake for Vortec heads, slap the adaptor on, slap the TBI on, plug everything in and be up and running. As I understand it, TBI isn't super-precise to begin with so loads of custom-chipping shouldn't be a priority. Of course, I've probably missed some tiny detail that'll make everything I just wrote incorrect....

**These are my opinions. Others on this post (and this site) know a hell of a lot more than I do about all this, so I'm just throwing my 2 cents into the pot. Maybe it'll help...maybe not...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

13. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

A bunch of people make such an adaptor ( I was going to just make one during lunch though) It seems very inefficient though funneling 2 barrels into 4.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Is the opening on the Edelbrock intake a wide-open hole or 4 bores? I don't know myself. I guess the efficiency of the setup would be determined by how well the adaptor is designed and executed.

OK, I just re-read all the previous posts and now I could kick myself for even posting to start with. Cavalry said right up front he preferred not to use an adaptor, and I went and said it anyway like I knew the ultimate answer. Guess that's what happens when you're posting after being up for 45hrs... Sorry about that.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jarheadk5 on 03/12/01 02:07 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

15. CaptCrunch

Hey Cav...
    Just for your info... you can run a tpi setup if you got the intake drilled out/or did it yourself... Squash did this on his truck and even has a hacked computer ... I've been reading over it and am considering this... is very interesting and possible... also low buck, but other then that I don't see a low buck way of doing it except w/ a plate or the TBI on a vortech tbi intake from SD chev.