Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all fender trimmers with big cutouts up front -inner structure ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Apr 6, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

How did you solve the inner fender/sturcture issues when trimming big? I seen some people trimming threw the marker light and I'm wandering how you keep it from flapping in the breeze, pics of inner fenders after cutting, pics of bracing and new inner wheel well ideas.... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I pulled the inner wheel wells out and got doing some looking, there wont be much stucture to the fender once you cut up much on the top of the front wheel wells. Seems like I remember a post awhile back that done some recontouring of the inner sections.
    [​IMG]
    I was thinking about cutting it and bending my own inner fender/wheel well out of the thin sheet and making a flat fender type conversion.
    [​IMG]

Anyone? pics? ideas?

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Re: Calling al fender trimmers with big cutouts

I welded a peice of of scrap steel from an old hood to get the lip back on my fenders.
    Bill

3. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Well it woulden't be to hard to cut out some pieces of sheet metal to fill in there. Maybe bend up some 1/4" round stock and use it at the fender lip to make welding a little easier.

But before I had a welder I simply cleaned it all up and sprayed in that expanding foam stuff. When it set it sticks realy well. Trimed it up with a razor and painted over it. I bashed the fenders prety good before getting rid of that truck and for the most part the foam held the inner and outer fender together for the 4 years I ran it.

Some say that the foam traps moisture promoting rust /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif the truck was rusted so bad to start with that the foam was probubly the only think holding it all together after the sheetmatal started to get crunched.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

tack welded it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    cleaned it all up and sprayed in that expanding foam stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I'm going to do to seal up the rear areas I have open, I dont think it will absorb water unless the truck is submerged for long periods of time... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Its not like a boat that sits in water for 3-4 hours or more at a time.

I'm going to fill them though... try to get the truck to float /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Plus they wont dent as bad, I filled the rockers in my DD and you can kick them pretty hard and they just go DONK ! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. jjlaughner

so you just brought the factory inner fender(wheel well) over and tacked it to the outer fender? did you redrill the mounting holes and or tack weld it back to the inner structure of the fender on top? Pics of inside the engine bay? radiator support areas? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so you just brought the factory inner fender(wheel well) over and tacked it to the outer fender? did you redrill the mounting holes and or tack weld it back to the inner structure of the fender on top? Pics of inside the engine bay? radiator support areas? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    just brought the inner to the fender and tacked it. didnt re drill the holes or anything, only thing was to hammer the inner wheel well to the fire wall to re contour it.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm going to fill them though... try to get the truck to float

[/ QUOTE ]
    you need to after the 3 ton of 1/8 diamond plate you added to that truck. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    this will make it look just like a jeep cherokee /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i seen it done, maight wanna round it off a bit /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif wow, you gots some rust /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. jjlaughner

RUSTY!? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I've cut about 90% of the rust out and replaced it with 1/8th in diamond tread! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

When I make the bends I might try wrapping it around a tank or something round to get a curve /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm going to fill them though... try to get the truck to float

[/ QUOTE ]
    you need to after the 3 ton of 1/8 diamond plate you added to that truck. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. jjlaughner

bump... ttt /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    MORE PICS, ideas, anyone that narrowed the front do you have during the process pics, where how much, rerouting lines and electrical

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I beat my inners back to the floorboards, and bolted the inner fender to the floor board with a couple of 3/8" grade 8s.

14. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I used 1/2 inch round rod and cut all the way up to the inner fender panel welded everything all back together....
    came out great... hard to tell its not stock except for the big opening... works for anything smaller than 40s
    I have the pics on community webshots... Ill have to locate them.. wish I was young and computer savvy like you guys,,
    cam

15. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

tube it....and tie it in to the rockers, then around to the new bumpers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I beat my inners back to the floorboards, and bolted the inner fender to the floor board with a couple of 3/8" grade 8s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats sort of what I'm thinking about, if I can get the extra metal I'm thinking about trimming the inners and spot welding in a new inner and it bolt back to the stock locations on the firewall and radiator support. I'm just not sure if I need to figure out a way to weld the inner fender structure to the wheel well and the wheel well to the outer fender section /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I guess I'll just have to do some tinkering.