Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

calling all gm technitions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 1BadK-30, Dec 27, 2006.

1. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Here pretty soon im hopefully going to starts school, from what im reading the pay is 40-50K a year starting then 50-65K after. Is this true or are they feeding me bs in a spoon?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Try front end loader, not spoon........................

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

It would appear you are wondering what the pay is once you get a job after school? I would say 40-50 to start isn't gonna happen, but no sweat 50-65 after, but it depends on where you're located.

5. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

yaa i figured they were choking my chain, I'll most likely be located at sands dealership in glendale if it maters. and thanks for the fix bubba.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i know guys who have been turning wrenches for 25 years, ASE Master certified, that are barely breaking 50K.

trained, certified, and experienced or not, you've still got to beat flat rate, and not everybody is good at that. :deal:

7. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

ok i goofed up dont know how i got that figure in my head. the website actualy says, The income potential within two years of graduation is $35,000 - $40,000 per year and the income potential of $50,000 to $75,000.

that sound better?

8. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

"Have you worked on a [​IMG] lately?"

9. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

no and i dont plan on it anytime soon :D

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

A driveabilty guy at a busy shop can make 100k. It takes many years to reach the ability level to earn that kind of pay. I know journyman techs that don't make squat (lazy-bad attitude) and I know a couple of journyman techs that make 75-100 + a year. I know a few good techs that are in their mid to late twenties and are making 60k +. You need to build experiance and you have to hussle.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Most people that are good in the Diesel field (which you make more cash generally than automotive) get to 38k a year after 2 years. Think, depending on where you live and the top wage limit, you could get to 60k in 5 years...but you have to be good. A lot of it depends on you...and ditto on the flat rate thing. If you like to take your time and read the book as you go along...you are going to lose money.

12. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Registered Member

Alot also depends on the shop to, If your working somewhere that they can't get the cars in the door or a service writers that can't up sell you'll be spending most of your day throwing your screwdriver at the wall. And then theres the enough work for "x" amount of techs but they decide to hire more. been there done that.. Where are you going to school??

13. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

14. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I don't see how that is possible, I only had 5 ASE certs, and after 3 and a half years at my dealership, I made 45k. With 25 years experience, I would expect to be making $28-30 an hour plus. Which would put you around 60k a year.

Making money on flat rate is about wanting it. You can't sit back and wait for the hours to come in. I've seen pleny of techs that would shut down after they got close to 40 hours. 40 hours was just enough to piss me off. 55 was my goal. And more often than not, I was pulling 60+ a week. Pretty easy to do in a semi busy dealership if you ask me.

IMO just about anybody can pull 35-40 hours a week. Hell, the guy who changed oil in the shop would do 40 hours a week with oil changes paying .4 a pop.

15. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

my instructor worked at a Ford dealership, and he said he would have pulled in $90+ the next year had he kept working, and just gone up from there. he quit cuz he just got burnt and wanted to try teaching, and more time with kids. this guy is also a badass, i watched him take a whole dash apart, just letting screws and stuff fall to the ground, then knew exactly where each screw went when he put them back, actually quite impressive. the guy also walked into the ASE tests with little studying straight from the shop, took like 4 tests back to back and passed them all...

another guy my buddy knows (supposed to be some sort of world-class tech for honda or toyota), is raking in 120,000/yr. and he's like 24. but im pretty sure he's got more responsibility than just a tech at the dealership. the first guy's the best technician ive ever seen, and apparently the second aint too bad either. so those numbers are very possible..

16. FarmerTed

AH the ASEP program I went through that in Seattle about 10 years ago. Great program! :bow: New cars to play with, good tools, Are they doing the on/off OJT thing every Quarter?

17. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

yup the same program set up, except i have to purchase tools.

18. FarmerTed

When I went through my only problem was at the stealership. My advice would be to get something in writing that says when you come back for your OJT that you will actually get to work in the specified area. I spent my driveability/electrical ojt doing line work. Seems the drive techs didn't want to give up work. Ahh good times. Good luck!!

19. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

good or bad times? :D

and thanks

20. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i worked in a flat-rate ford shop (job security, amigo) for 3.5 years... before i left, i had made 29,5xx in 5 months... well on my way to 60k a year as a flatrate tech, i was on a "warranty" team of 4 techs who cleared all the warranty work from the shop, and if you finished it, you could have cash work, not a big deal, they bumped me to 17.50/hr and i constantly turned 75hrs a week in 5 days, and i usually had a couple cash jobs set up for saturday to come in and knock out, where a front end rebuild with brakes, alignment and a couple flushed would net between 8-13 hours and never take more than 4 to do... if you are fast, you can beat flatrate book,
    as a warranty tech i could pull over 6 hours from a vibration on a truck with less than 500 miles on it, takes hard, fast work, repetition helps and creative writing is a plus....

when i left they didnt offer to keep me or anything, and its not what i was looking for, my foreman asked me to train my replacement on my last week and i told them to go to hell....

anyways, flat rate is all dependent on YOU, the writers, and the location... when the hurricanes ripped through here, our shop was dead for THREE days, then every emergency vehicle that came to town was a drof... so we picked back up, gotta know how to get the work, keep the work and do the work... no problem, you can do it!