Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all green thumbs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Apr 18, 2003.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok, i have a yard that is maybe 40x40 feet that is bare dirt and 2 trees. anyway i have put down a strp of sod down before (1x3 feet) and dont know if i over watered it or under watered it, but it died..... so how do i get this new sod to live? climate is mild/warm 50-70 daily thanks in advanced /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've never had any luck with sod. What works for me, is to rent a airater, go over the yard sevreal times, when it looks good, go over it acouple times more. Then spread grass seed very heavly. Water the piss out of the area daily for a week, then water normally. Spread more seed daily after each watering durring that first week. It's worked real well for me.

3. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Make sure if you are planting in the shade that you are using a shade variety of grass. Most grass likes a lot of sun, but their are several types that are shade grasss, I think of any off the top of my head. You might check with you local garden store or green house, they should be able to give you some direction. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Hell I would'nt plant anything there. If You do, Your'e gonna have to mow it, fertilize it, water it, all the fun stuff.

Just leave it as dirt, add water and presto, instant MudBogging, in Your front yard.

Of course You may not agree with Me here, but I have a lawn, and it's just more crap to do, take's away from stuff like Wheeling. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are laying sod:
    If the soil is compacted (hard as a rock) You will have to break it up so the roots will grow into it.. Use a roto tiller They are pretty cheap to rent. Most rental yards will rent them by the hour.

Rake the soil smooth and pick out the big rocks.
    Add a little garden firtaliser #16- 8- 8
    Before laying the sod water the area throughly so its wet but not a mud hole.. This is important! to keep the roots from burning on dry soil.
    Lay the sod in a staggard pattern (like a brick wall)
    After the sod is layed water it good. And keep it well watered but not flooded for a few weeks.
    Instant lawn.
    After a month or so fertalise again.

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Try a controlled release fertilizer that breaks down slowly over a long period of time. Nutri-cote is the brand name that comes to mind, but if you ask at the store they'll find you one.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks everyone, i'll use the tips, and i can't make it a mud bog cause it's in the back yard and cant get there by truck /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif plus the land lord pays the gardener twice a month