Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Calling all lawn experts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddin4fun, Jun 22, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I just got done laying some of those little pieces of already grown grass (don't know the word...sod?). I don't know what kind of grass it is...it's the green grass from a freinds yard /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Anyway, how often should I water it and how much? I live in Texas /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

water it at least twice a day when I worked on a sod farm, when we would do transplants we would advise to water mid afternoon, and right at dusk, water for about 1 hour, depends on the amount of area to be covered then sprinkler to be used. The key is just getting the root base to grow into your soil, and keep the grass wet until it transfers. Jesse

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Keep it wet !!! I like to water itreal heaveyly, then cover it with straw.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You gotta watch "King of the Hill". In one episode Hank put down sod in his whole yard. He lives in Texas too!

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You don't want to water it so much as to leave puddles here and there.

During hotter weather, and especially drier temps, too, you should water the sod at intervals of every so many hours a day. Heat and sun will evaporate the water very quickly and therefore you want to water about every 3 hours for about 10-15 minutes. In the evenings, you can do it away at about every 6 hours.

6. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

please dont water at night (root rot) ,texas soil isn't very nice (sorry aggies)UNLESS you work it.water in am like 4 or 6.give your lawn at least 8 hours to soak it up.
    take sample to home depot or someplace like that and ask for the pro! dont spoil your lawn becuase when it gets hot
    it'll need a lot more water to survive. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. thatK30guy

I mess with Burmuda grass here at work. We have the timer set for the overnight waterings at 6:00 p.m., 12:00 a.m., 4:00 a.m., and then back on at 9:00 a.m. for the regular 3 hour rotations.

Must be the Burmuda grass takes a different watering cycle than the sod does. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Only thing I'll add is next time............do it in fall or early spring. Too dang hot in Texas to put any new grass in, including sod. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. thatK30guy

EXACTLY!!! All planting or sodding should be done very early spring or late fall.

Nothing should be done during or in the middle of summer. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Nothing will grow properly if you do it this way.

Fertilization should be done the same way as the planting/sodding of grass...spring and summer. But if you should have fungus problems, fertilizing can be done then, too.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, your climate (Texas) and mine (Massachusetts) are much different, but I can tell you what we do for sod as up until a few years ago, I used to help install sod (anybody ever heard of Yankee Candle Company?......We installed acres and acres of sod at the stores and at the owners estate). We tried to do most installation in Spring and Fall, but ended up doing alot of patch work (ruined by customers) and special events in the "sqare" during the summer. Nomatter when we "rolled it out" we watered heavily (not all at once, but in intervals will short bursts as not to puddle). When we installed it, we would make sure to moisten the sod and the soil before laying it down. We would also make sure the seams and the edges were continually moistened as these were the areas that dried the quickest. We watered heaviest at dawn and dusk, and tried not to water from Noon to 4. Noon to 4 was the hottest portion of the day, but the water droplets actually act like mini magnifying glasses. If it was extremely hot we used soaker hoses (the kind that kinda leak from small pores), this allowed the ground to stay moist and moisture to get to the root without letting droplets sit on the blades of the grass. This is what we do for our soil and grass. I know when I lived down South the soil and grasses were different and the climate was much hotter (Hotlanta), but when I talked with the landscapers down there, they said the principles were still the same.

11. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Water it alot at first to promote root transfer, after that do not water as much, over watering will promote shallow root growth, and the grass will burn up easy, I hope that makes sence.
    Also do NOT use fertilizer anytime soon, it will burn up the sod, the old rule of thumb was a year after it was laid, not sure what it is now. If you use any make sure it is balanced, like a 14-12-10 or something like that, but do not use a 42-0-0 that will green up a estabished yard but will kill new sod. Also do not use a weed and feed with a pre-emergant, the grass will not spread like you want either.

12. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Well, a freind was tearing up his yard and asked if we wanted it and so it was a "what the hell, lets see what happens" type deal /forums/images/icons/smile.gif